How to remove history of source code in git bitbucket repository?

Milano Fili February 7, 2013

Hi, I created a repository and I didn't forget to add *.war and *.java to .gitignore file. Now the repository hava growth and my .git file is about 500 megabytes. I search and test some solution and they aren't working for me. I don't want solution to solve the problem. I want to clean problem. I think the best solution is remove all histories of source code of repository and . [ Because it's a team repository, I can't create a new repositories and I don't want to anybody pay to my bad work].

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2013

We have a guide to doing this if you simply want to scrub out specific files. Read over the document here. If you are looking to start over. You can simply copy all of your current files over to a new directory without the .git or .hg directory and do:

git init

Then, create/adjust your ignore file and then re-add all your data with:

git add -A

Then you can commit

git commit -m "Some commit message"

And then push your content up to Bitbucket again.

git push -u origin master

Milano Fili February 13, 2013

Thank you Marcus,

git push origin +master

Also the above worked for me. What is difference between origin +master and -u origin master?

user November 23, 2014

The document no longer exists. It links to a document that no longer contains that information.

1 vote
Paul Phönixweiß January 5, 2014

is it possible to do that with sourcetree?

0 votes
Milano Fili February 11, 2013

I did that and then it says me :

error: src refspec master does not match any.

error: failed to push some refs to 'https://x@bitbucket.org/y/x-y-z.git'

aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2013

I've updated my comment to include more full instructions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events