How to prevent a pull request from being re-scoped after approval?

Faissal Elamraoui November 24, 2016

Hello,

I noticed that after a pull request is being approved, a developer can push more changes to the branch without notifying the reviewer, and somehow those "unwanted" changes get merged.

Is there a way to "freeze" the branch in which the pull request was raised? I was thinking of writing a plugin which implements com.atlassian.bitbucket.event.pull.PullRequestParticipantApprovedEvent event, but I am not sure how to go from there.

Any pointers?

Thank you,

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
adammarkham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2016

Hi Faissal,

Is the goal just to prevent the new unapproved changes from getting merged? If so you have the following option with ScriptRunner for Bitbucket Server:

Using the withdraw approvals event handler for this purpose, which will withdraw approvals if a pull request is changed after the approval. See the docs here for how to use this. 

You can find it under Repository Settings -> Script Event Handlers -> "Withdraw approvals when a pull request changed" or Admin -> ScriptRunner -> Script Event Handlers -> "Withdraw approvals when a pull request changed"

You could then combine this with a merge check to check all users have approved the pull request or some number of them.

You can find it under Repository Settings -> Script Merge Checks -> "Custom merge check" or Admin -> ScriptRunner -> Script Merge Checks -> "Custom merge check"

The example below will check all reviewers have approved, which you need to copy as an inline script in the custom merge check:

import com.atlassian.bitbucket.scm.pull.MergeRequest

def mergeRequest = mergeRequest as MergeRequest

if (! mergeRequest.pullRequest.reviewers.every {it.approved}) {
    mergeRequest.veto("Not enough approvals", "All reviewers must approve before merge")
}

I think this solution is much better than adding a pre-receive hook to block the push and will also provide you flexibility to define your own conditions according to the development process each team has.

Although you can lookup writing your own pre-receive hook if thats what you really want using ScriptRunner here.

Let me know if you need any help with this or more details.

Hope this helps,
Adam

1 vote
Michael Heemskerk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2016

Another option is to install the Bitbucket Server Auto Unapprove plugin, which will remove the approvals if someone pushes more changes to the pull request source branch.

0 votes
Ulrich Kuhnhardt [IzymesDev]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016

You would want to write a little pre-receive hook that checks

• if branch has outgoing PR(s)
  • If so - are there any approvals yet
  • If so - rejected the push to the branch. 

There are some good hook tutorials in developer.atlassian.com. 

Hope that helps

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events