Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable Google Analytics tracking for pages in the Source view?

Marko Kirves August 7, 2020

I host some documentation in my private Bitbucket Cloud repositories and I would like to track the activity to see if the users browse to any specific pages in the Source view.

I've added Google Analytics key to a repository but this doesn't seem to work on all pages. 

Using the Google Analytics Debugger extension in Chrome, I can see the Google Analytics events firing correctly with my tracking ID on the admin pages and on the Downloads view for example, but not page views seem to be tracked on the Source view.

How can I enable Google Analytics tracking for pages in the Source view?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2020

Hi Marko,

This is due to a bug, the Google Analytics key provides information only from certain pages of the repository, the bug is tracked here:

As per the last comment there from one of Bitbucket PMs, I'm afraid that this is something that is not going to be fixed in the short-term, as it's not a heavily used feature:

Sorry to say, we won't be going back to fix this. Its so rarely used by the wider community, and we're focusing our energy on high impact projects like improvements to pull requests.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Marko Kirves August 17, 2020

Hi Theodora

Thanks for getting back to me and pointing me towards the right issue.

I've actually found some other issues with using Bitbucket for hosting documentation (eg. Markdown syntax and rendering issues) so I might look for other solutions.

Thanks
Marko

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events