How to disable Can't access your account? url from login page of stash application

Ankur Mehrotra September 29, 2014

How to disable Can't access your account? url from login page of stash applicationlogin.jpg

4 answers

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2014

Hi Ankur,

Our development team explained why it would be a concern to provide an option to hide the link 'Can't access your account':

1. as of Stash 3.5, the user is already provided with sufficient information to understand why the password can or cannot be resetted and what's the follow-up action he/she should perform:
    • if the user's account is from a editable directory (in practice that means "Stash Internal Directory"), the user is notified that a link was sent to the account's email to reset its password;
    • if the user's account is from a read-only directory, the user is notified of why the account's password cannot be resetted and that he/she could contact his/her administrator to change it;
    • if the user's account does not exist, the user is notified that the account was not found and that he/she would verify the provided account name or email;
  2. additionally, except in the rare case where all the directories are external directories, Stash has usually one editable internal directory (because it is created by default when Stash is setup). And the users in that directory (such as the administrative account created during the setup) needs to be able to reset their accounts' passwords. If the link Can't access your account link was removed from the login page, our concern is that it would allow some (potentially critical) users to completely lock themselves out of Stash, without any mean to reset their passwords.

Please refer to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-4458 for full discussion.

Note that Stash is 'read-only' for users fetched from external directories, meaning they can only be changed in the external directory itself and not using Stash UI.

We hope that this answer clarifies the decision.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2014

Hi Ankur,

Atlassian has a policy for bug fixing:

I encourage you to leave your feedback on that issue which is continually being monitored by our dev team and as I mentioned, is fixed according to the document I linked you above.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support

0 votes
Ankur Mehrotra September 30, 2014

What is the ETA of fixing this issue - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-4458
As I haven't seen any progress on this issue 

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
September 29, 2014

Hi Ankur,

Currently there is an issue open for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-4458

I advise you to add yourself as a watcher to it.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events