Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a file/folder from Bitbucket repository?

eiger3970 May 9, 2014

Hi, I'm a Bitbucket noob and having a hard time getting started.

I'm trying to clean up the Bitbucket repository and my local git folder master and branch organisation.

My local computer's git folder has some folders deleted via Terminal $ rm -r folderName > $ git push.

Bitbucket repository still shows the folderName. How do I remove this?

I think part of the mess started with my local machine git cloning to the git folder which was in branch status and not master status?

10 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
eiger3970 May 29, 2014

Ok, I figured out how to do it.

It seems you can't delete a remote file from a local command.

I went to the remote repository's website > Source > select branch > select folder > select file to be deleted > Edit > Delete > Commit.

seymourdatascience May 15, 2018

As far as I can tell, this doesn't work for folders - only files.

Like # people like this
qube90 September 18, 2018

This post worked for me. 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6313126/how-to-remove-a-directory-from-git-repository/6313301#6313301

The question should be: "How to delete folders/files with git?"

Not in bitbucket.

Like # people like this
Deleted user February 27, 2020

He is a beginner. You must to be comprehensive.

2 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2014
1 vote
Bhavya Sharma May 15, 2019

so my suggestions are: 

- move the file/folder you want to delete in your computer to another folder from your master folder...

then type on your terminal..

- git commit         ( this commits the changes like when you move the folder to another

destination, this will commit only the files or folders present in that master folder)

then ..

- git push       ( this will push the final layout of your folder)

now you can refresh your repo and see updated commit

Result: you see only files and folders you have in your master folder.

Thank you

Bhavya Sharma

1 vote
gotakk April 1, 2015

I have an issue
I can delete a file parsable by Bitbucket (text, image, ...)
But for the others files (exe, ...) I can not delete it. When I click on the file, my browser download it

1 vote
eiger3970 May 29, 2014

I have the same problem again about deleting a file off the Bitbucket online remote repository.

I made a local file with the wrong name and pushed it up to the Bitbucket online remote repository.

I have now renamed the wrong named file on my local computer and deleted the wrongly named file.

I then typed $ git add fileWithWrongName.* fileWithCorrectName.* > Enter > $ git commit -m "Deleting wrongly named file and adding new correct named file on Bitbucket online remote repository." > Enter > $ git push > Enter > $ <Bitbucket password> > Enter.

The new file fileWithCorrectName.* was pushed up successfully to the Bitbucket online remote repository, however the fileWithWrongName.* didn't delete/remove from the Bitbucket online remote repository?

Any suggestions please?

1 vote
eiger3970 May 10, 2014

Thank you for the reply. The links are easy to read which is a nice improvement for IT documentation.

My issue isn't about deleting a branch however.
The issue is folder/s in the remote Master and a folder in the remote branch that won't delete.
I have deleted files locally and remotely in Master and Branch, but not the folders.

I think I'm misunderstanding how the Master and Branch works.
I have pulled the remote Master and then created a Branch locally. I then pushed the local Master and local Branch to the remote repository.
I'm confused on where the local folder is for my local Master and local Branch?
I have a git working folder/directory, but in there the folders 'magically' appear and disappear when I change to local Master or local Branch via Terminal?
I would like to always have access to seeing my local folders' Master or Branch, regardless of whether I'm in Terminal local Master or local Branch.

0 votes
Raghavendra HG December 8, 2019

We can delete the files/folders present in BitBucket repository by deleting the physical files/folders from your working directory and push it to BitBucket through SourceTree Git desktop client. Once you delete the files/folders the same will be marked 'Missing' in SourceTree and there by it will delete them from the BitBucket as soon as you Push them...

0 votes
eiger3970 May 11, 2014

Well, maybe the remote repository was slow or I made a mistake.

It seems the folders are now deleted so I can work with a cleanly organised local and remote repository now. See how it goes over the next few weeks.

0 votes
eiger3970 May 11, 2014

I have now deleted all files within the master folder named webpage.

However one remaining hidden file won't delete, named: .DS_Store

I think this is stopping the folder webpage being deleted?

Casey Wise September 13, 2018

Hi @eiger3970 the .DS_Store file is a hidden file used by OSX to store user preferences and other "meta" info.  Wikipedia lays it out better than I can.  You don't want the file in your code base.  Remove + commit in your terminal:

rm -f .DS_Store && git commit -am "file clean up"

Like # people like this
Hunter Rafuse April 17, 2019

This worked the best for me yet I did it in separate lines, for example(example not literal to the scenario listed above but should help):

within this gitignore add what you want to ignore like so -> node_modules
then save make sure you mash cmd + s because mac isn't sensitive to be fair.

$ touch .gitignore

After creating the .gitignore and saving, remove that folder(or file). Like below:

$ cd repository_root
$ rm -rf node_modules 

Then it will spit out red sentences don't worry this is just a notification about a change within the repository locally, but the lines 
should start with  deleted to notify the change in the repository.
Now let's wrap this up by adding. committing and then pushing all of our changes.

$ git add .

$ git commit -m "File cleanup, removal of node_modules and then adding of .gitignore"

$ git push

Like akinadeyemo1 likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events