Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the casing of a project name?

Gonçalo Lopes August 6, 2013

I'm trying to change the casing of a project name, but even though the repository name would remain the same (it's all lower-case), BitBucket won't let me do it.

Is it possible to change the name to something else and then rename it back with proper casing? Are there any unforeseen implications of doing this to the repository (e.g. redirect URLs; push/pull authentication issues, etc)?

Would like to know if it's 100% safe before trying it.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
m
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013

The associated repository URLs change. The link should work now. Or use this one:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/swF7DQ

(If you accept my answer, please mark it accepted. I'm gunning for the T-SHIRT swag. :-)

1 vote
m
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2013

You can rename a repository yes. When you rename a repository, the repo_slug also changes. You can't change case with rename though. So, if you name something "My Repository" you can't change it to "my repository." This is because with each rename Bitbucket attempts to create a new slug. To Bitbucket, names like:

My Repository
my repository

Are identical. Both result in a repo-slug of my-respository. See the documentation for details on renaming.

Gonçalo Lopes August 19, 2013

For some reason the link you posted seems to be dead to me...

Anyway, what would happen if I have a repository named:

MyRepository

then I change it to

AnotherRepository

and then change it back to

myrepository

Will this work and what would be the implications?

0 votes
m
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

You can control how the name of a repository appears in the Bitbucket UI, yes. You have limited control over the repository name as it appears in the URL for your repository.

So, you can name your repository "My Repository" using Bitbucket's Create repository dialog. But the name of the repository in the URL appears like this:

https://bitbucket.org/tutorials/my-repository

The my-repository is known as a repo_slug. The internal name Bitbucket software uses to identify your repository. That slug is always going to be lower case with a dash replacing any spaces. That is because our software cannot use the display name with spaces and upper case.

Gonçalo Lopes August 13, 2013

Got it, thanks. Anything regarding the second question? Is it possible to change the name to something else and then rename it back with proper casing?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events