Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to best organize your personal repositories on bitbucket.

sgrottel October 14, 2016

I started migrating to Bitbucket some time ago. The number of my personal repositories are growing steadily, and I am starting to struggle keeping an overview.

I'd love to organize my repositories. Basically, what I need are groups/folders (ideally nested, but one layer would be ok for now). Projects seem to be a nice fit, but they only exist for teams. These repositories, however, are just for me.

So, what is the best practice for this use case?

(Or am I, once again, the only user on Bitbucket with such a Problem?)

Do I need to create a "me" Team only consisting of my personal account, so that I can host my personal projects only I will work on? Sounds wrong to me. Especially, since there would be URL-Differences between "Me" and my "Me" Team. This is already confusion ... me.

I only want to group the repositories for the better overview. This does not have to be reflected in the URLs oder IDs or whatever.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rodney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2016

Hello sgrottel,

No you are not the only one with such a problem.

I think in the long run it would be better to create a team because you'll be able to group your repositories and filter them in the dashboard.

One team is all you needs since it is able to create an unlimited number of projects so that would give you your one layer. (Yes I use a team)

But of course this will change the URLs so there would be a one time setup cost.

If you want to keep it simple you could just use your main account to own the repositories and organize it with folders in SourceTree.

sgrottel October 15, 2016

Hello Rodney,

thank you for your quick answer. Oh well, a team it is then. Still feels weird.

BennyBall June 2, 2019

There should be a way to logically group repositories in the web application without affecting the git location. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
sgrottel October 15, 2016

Just a comment for people finding my questions:

Using one team did not work for me!

Reason:

I don't care for URLs, but Repository names. These Names=IDs only live withing the Team's Namespace, not the projects' Namespace. Thus no two projects can both contain repositories called by the same name, e.g. "Documentation".

I would need to

1. repeat the project name in the repositories names, resulting ins something like: "project1_documentation", which is ugly. Or
  2. I create multiple "TEAMS" only containing me as a single user, and store the repositories there; thus ending up with decorated team names, like "sgrottel_project1". I thus end up with repository names like "bitbucket/sgrottel_project1/documentation", which again are strange, but ok-ish.

This feels even more weird than using one team. But this seems to be the best option atm.

I going to change the repositories' URLs anyway...

Robert Futch February 9, 2017

Thanks, this is good to know before I jump into importing a bunch of repositories. 

The first option is probably what I will go with since I am working with a few people. We will end up with folders that just have these redundant names. 

I think the repositories don't live in the project name space, because you may want to share repositories between projects. 

So you could have something like:

Project1

>SharedLibrary

>Project1Files

>Project1Docs

Project2

>SharedLibrary

>Project2Files

>Project2Docs

Not that that would be good practice. I'm no expert. 

Edit again:

You cannot share repositories between projects. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events