Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to allow Bitbucket-Pipelines to pull images from Amazon EC2 container service (ECR)?

Dean Kayton August 31, 2017

What I have tried:

- I can successfully push to Amazon ECR (details in this answer I posted on Stack Overflow)
- I am failing to pull the above image in a subsequent pipeline (see example).

Example bitbucket-pipeline.yml

image:
name: <ecr-registry-address>/<repository>:<tag>
aws:
access-key: ${AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID}
secret-key: ${AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY}

pipelines:
default:
- step:
script:
- echo 'Hello World'

The error I get back:

lz7E8

Finally:

In order to push to the repository, I already setup IAM roles for the bitbucket-pipelines account (AmazonEC2ContainerRegistryPowerUser). Is there any other setup required?

1 answer

3 votes
Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2017

Hi Dean,

If you'd like to use environment variables for your ECR image you need to change your YAML to look like this:

image:
name: <imagename>
aws:
access-key: $AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID
secret-key: $AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY
pipelines:
default:
- step:
script:
- echo 'Hello world'

Specifically removing the curly braces around your environment variables and realigning the whitespace (though, that may have been copy/paste).

Hope that helps! :)

Phil

Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2017

Fixed.

Dean Kayton September 1, 2017

Thank you, I arrived to this conclusion just moments before you replied. Why is the case though? When you say 'fixed', is the ${} now supported?

If not, that notation is supported everywhere else in the bitbucket-pipelines.yml, so I think for consistency it would be a good idea!

I logged the following suggestion (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-10113), to note this limitation (if it is still present) in the documentation and to give a more descriptive error message if this is to occur.

If you have fixed the above, then the above can probably be discarded. But in general, system errors like this should be caught by a syntax validator at least.

Thanks for the support :)

Evan Jacover March 12, 2018

I'm having the same problem and it's unclear to me what the resolution is.

john_silva May 12, 2020

I'm having the same problem, I've already removed the {} but can't get it to work.

I can push and pull with the same credentials from the local machine but not from the pipeline.

Samuel Bloch April 15, 2021

Oh good it's not just me!

Tuure Laurinolli December 3, 2021

The corresponding ticket seems to be https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-16664

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events