Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to accept invitation to shared repo on existing account

Matt Klinker January 2, 2018

Just today I've received two invitations for shared repositories that I'll be working with.  It doesn't appear there's any way to view/accept these from within my existing BitBucket account?

When trying to click link in email to accept invitation, there's a bunch of auth redirects and I'm left at a page to pick a username - but I don't want one.. I have an existing account.

I've tried clicking on accept link while being already signed into bitbucket and also while not.  When not already signed in, I can sign in to my account and am still directed back to a page asking me to pick a username.

I've confirmed that the email address used to send invite is the primary email address of my account.  I do have one alias registered, but it's not in play during this transaction.

Any insight into how I can gain access to this repository?

3 answers

1 vote
hnl-company October 31, 2021

Hi Guys,

I was with the same problem.
I received the invite in the email, but when I clicked in the button, the link didn't sent me to the invitations page.
I discovery that it is caused by a wrong characters in the link. I don't know if it is a Bitbucket/Atlassian issue or is caused by the email provider.

So, to solve you need to get the link for button "Accept my invitation" in your email, started with "https://id.atlassian.com/signup/invite?application=bitbucket..."  and replace the following characters as in the image example:    

image.png

%253A  replace to  :
      %253D replace to  =
      %25253A replace to  :
      %25252F replace to  /

This characters appears for me, maybe for you there are another one.
After that I was able to put the link in the browser and access the invitation page.

Hemerson Lima.
Good Look

0 votes
Jennifer Shipp July 11, 2021

n

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi Matt! For what you described, it seems like the email where you're receiving the invitation is not associated to any Bitbucket account, that's why when you click on it you're directed to pick a username (Bitbucket is prompting you to create a new account).

I've searched your email address in our system (the same email address you have associated to this Atlassian account) and I couldn't find any Bitbucket account for it. If you already have a Bitbucket account, please check which email address are you using so they can share the repo with the correct one.

Hope this helps!

Ana

Matt Klinker January 3, 2018

Hi Ana, thanks for taking time to look into this.  I have verified the email address the invitation was sent to is the same email address as is listed here under my Account Settings: https://id.atlassian.com/profile/profile.action

The odd thing though, I don't login to bitbucket with this email address.  But the email I'm actually logging in with is listed nowhere under my account settings.

I don't feel this has ever been right since the merge of bitbucket/atlassian authentication.  My username is 'mattklinker' if that helps dig further - I don't want to post email :)

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Hi Matt :) Okay, so your username ' mattklinker' has two email addresses associated to it, but none of them is the email address you're using for this Atlassian account.

Bitbucket users can send invitations to any email address whether the recipients are already Bitbucket users or not. If an account already exists, they'll just be added to the repo; if there's no account linked to the email address the invite was sent to, our system will prompt them to create a new account. It is not possible to "redirect" an invitation from one email address to the other.

At this point there are two things you can do:

1. You can ask the other person to invite you using your other email address.
  2. You can change the email address in your Bitbucket account and replace it with the one listed at https://id.atlassian.com/profile/profile.action. To do so, access your Bitbucket account and navigate to your avatar (on the bottom left corner) > Bitbucket settings > Account settings and click on Atlassian account, you'll be able to add your current email address there. Once you do that and someone sends you an invitation, it will be linked to your Bitbucket account. 

Let us know if you have any question!

Cheers,

Ana

Matt Klinker January 4, 2018

Thanks for the clarification, I was able to resolve by having the invitation re-sent to my bitbucket username rather than any email address.

I don't understand why you can't put this together.  If I'm able to login to bitbucket using that atlassian id, then I feel I should be able to receive invitations to that email.  It's a strange disconnect that I have to provide a different bitbucket email.

Anyway, my immediate problem is resolved - thank you for clarification.   

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2018

Hi Matt, I'm glad the problem is resolved!

However, I'm still intrigued by the fact that you said that you're able to log in to Bitbucket using this Atlassian account (as I haven't been able to find any Bitbucket account associated to it).

If you can confirm this and would like to look further into this, let us know and we'll create a Support ticket for you (as we'll need to check different email addresses, etc and we don't want you to display that info publicly :) )

Have a good day!

Ana

Deleted user April 24, 2018

I have a similar issue: I am logged in with one email and cannot change it since it's an SSO account. I added the second email as an alias.

I need to be able to accept invitations from both emails. How can I do that?

Deleted user December 20, 2018

^ Same situation here.

Why can I not accept invitations to email aliases instead of having to keep creating new bitbucket accounts?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2019

Hi @[deleted] and @[deleted]! 

There was a Feature request for this, however it was closed as "Won't Fix". Please read the response from Alastair here for an explanation on why it's no longer possible. Feel free to comment or vote on it, as a way to express your interest. Hope that helps :) 

Ana

Blessed Yahaya May 28, 2020

Hi @Ana Retamal 

I got an invitation to my email address but when I click accept, the link redirects to my dashboard, with the projects not being added.

Like # people like this
Dan Hardman May 28, 2020

I'm getting the same issue for a colleague, he's accepting invites and it's redirecting to the dashboard and not giving access

Like Rawan Hamad likes this
Kris Comendador June 30, 2021

Has there been a fixed for @Blessed Yahaya and @Dan Hardman questions?

I have exactly the same issue with my user today. I have added them to Bitbucket and once they accepted the invite, it redirects them to a Dashboard but without access to our org's repositories. The invite is still showing as Pending too and can't see them in the User on plan tab. 

Jennifer Shipp July 11, 2021

Same Issue, any ideas?  I guess I'll open a case...

hnl-company October 31, 2021

Hi Guys,

I was with the same problem.
I received the invite in the email, but when I clicked in the button, the link didn't sent me to the invitations page.
I discovery that it is caused by a wrong characters in the link.

I don't know if it is a Bitbucket/Atlassian issue or is caused by the email provider.

So, to solve you need to get the link for button "Accept my invitation" in your email, started with "https://id.atlassian.com/signup/invite?application=bitbucket..."  and replace the following characters as in the image example:       

%253A      replace to  :
      %253D      replace to  =
      %25253A  replace to  :
      %25252F  replace to  /

This characters appears for me, maybe for you there are another one.
After that I was able to put the link in the browser and access the invitation page.

Hemerson Lima.
Good Look

Like James Mikel III likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events