How much private is my private repository ?

Patrizio Bertoni March 15, 2015

Well, this question is allegedly buried into thousand lines of EULA that every user of Bitbucket signs during registration, but anyway I'll bother someone for a quick and concise question.

I'd like to set up a remote for a repo strictly copyrighted, and a mate of mine said me that no matter what "private repository" means, Atlassian will always have property of each piece of information I'll upload on their server. Thus, is it virtually possible a situation where this code will be copied, retained or whatever, in facts breaking the copyright that I ought to respect?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2015

The Terms of Service is at https://www.atlassian.com/end-user-agreement?utm_source=bitbucket&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=footer (or at least that's the footer link).

Let me preface this with: I'm not a lawyer - if you have questions/concerns of the Terms of Service - you should talk to a lawyer.

I'm assuming your mate is referring to:

"7.4 Your Data. “Your Data” means any data, content, code, video, images or other materials of any type that you upload, submit or otherwise transmit to or through Hosted Services. You will retain all right, title and interest in and to Your Data in the form provided to Atlassian. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, you hereby grant to Atlassian a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free right to (a) collect, use, copy, store, transmit, modify and create derivative works of Your Data, in each case solely to the extent necessary to provide the applicable Hosted Service to you and (b) for Hosted Services that enable you to share Your Data or interact with other people, to distribute and publicly perform and display Your Data as you (or your Authorized Users) direct or enable through the Hosted Service. Atlassian may also access your account or instance in order to respond to your support requests."

Atlassian will need to store the data you upload to them somewhere (and I would expect them to back that data up etc). So without knowing the details of the copyright,  if there's an issue with backups on third party servers - there's always Stash so that you could host it. I haven't really met a license that doesn't allow for backups but again I'm not a lawyer. I would suggest talking to a lawyer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events