How does the import repository feature work exactly?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Copy your Git repository and add files

I imported a repository from gitlab to Bitbucket and created my own branch in bitbucket.

1. Others are working on gitlab directly. Will I get their commits automatically in my imported Bitbucket repo's master as well?
  2. If I want to merge my changes to the master on gitlab, and I issue a pull request, will those working on gitlab be able to see it?

To summarize, is import repo a "do it once and forget the original" feature or does it work like a mirror?

Is there something like this for the cloud version of bitbucket?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.englishtown.stash-hook-mirror/server/overview

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Smarmila,

The imports feature allows you to import repositories from other sources into Bitbucket. It pulls in all the commits for a repo **at the time of the import**. Any changes made to the original repository (the one in Gitlab) will not be reflected in the Bitbucket repository. At this time, there are no features in any of the major SCM hosting services that allow pull requests to be made across them.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 10, 2018 in Bitbucket

What is your #1 piece of advice to new users getting started using Bitbucket?

Hello Community! My name is Claire Maynard, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager on the Bitbucket team. I’m interested in hearing what advice or tips you have for new users getting started on ...

243 views 14 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you