Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the import repository feature work exactly?

Sharmila Velamur September 16, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Copy your Git repository and add files

I imported a repository from gitlab to Bitbucket and created my own branch in bitbucket.

1. Others are working on gitlab directly. Will I get their commits automatically in my imported Bitbucket repo's master as well?
  2. If I want to merge my changes to the master on gitlab, and I issue a pull request, will those working on gitlab be able to see it?

To summarize, is import repo a "do it once and forget the original" feature or does it work like a mirror?

Is there something like this for the cloud version of bitbucket?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.englishtown.stash-hook-mirror/server/overview

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
abhin-atl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2016

Hi Smarmila,

The imports feature allows you to import repositories from other sources into Bitbucket. It pulls in all the commits for a repo **at the time of the import**. Any changes made to the original repository (the one in Gitlab) will not be reflected in the Bitbucket repository. At this time, there are no features in any of the major SCM hosting services that allow pull requests to be made across them.

Sharmila Velamur September 19, 2016

Thank you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events