Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you "pull request" tags from a fork back to its parent

David_Mills May 20, 2014

Hi, we have released code in a fork and after release we do a pull request from the fork back up to its parent (master to master). But the tags don't get pulled. Is there any simple way to pull the tags?

I guess I could clone the fork (locally), add the parent as a remote and "git push parent --tags". Is there any danger that I will push other branches or commits if I do this though?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

Hi David,

Unfortunately the main mechanism of moving code between forks in Stash (and all Git hosting solutions that I know of) is via branches. As you've suggested your best bet is to fetch locally and then push up to 'parent'. If you're worried about using '--tags' (which will push _all_ local tags, but not branches) you can push each tag manually:

git push parent tag-1 tag-2

Generally most teams I know of (including Stash) will always 'release' from the main/parent repository as that is usually the source of truth. Just out of curiosity, is there any reason you don't do that instead?

Charles

0 votes
David_Mills May 21, 2014

Hi Charles,

thanks for the response.

We create our release branches in the project doing the release and it goes through the test cycle there. Only once released to prod do we merge to master and pull to the parent. I guess that I can change the process to not tag in the project fork, but merge, then pull to parent, then tag in the parent. Fork synching should then propagate to the other projects.

Our parent and all forks ONLY have master in common. develop, release, feature and bugfix branches are all project specific.

Obviously each project has to merge in any released code from any other project before any subsequent releases so as to prevent regression.

David

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events