Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you download sources for an older version ?

Eamonn Baker March 22, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Frequently Asked Questions

I am using Visual Studio 2013 to develop a VB .NET application. I am new to BitBucket .   I have project . The used called me he is using a version that is about 6 months old . He wants to make a small change to this version . The current version is not ready to be released to the user and there are now a lot of changes between the version the user is using and the current version . I have an BitBucket account so i logged in and I can identify the Commit for the version the customer is using .  I want to extract the project files with all the Commits  up to the Commit  for the version the customer is using . I am not sure how to do this . I would appreciate some advice on this point ,ideally a step by step procedure . 

1 answer

1 vote
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2016

if you're using git on your end, then you already have a complete copy of the repository locally and you don't need to download anything special. You can set your working directory to the old version using git command line commands (or the equivalent steps in SourceTree or your IDE's git plugin)

You can just do 

git checkout <commit_id>

to set your working directory to the old version.  From there you should do

git checkout -b <branch_name>

to create a new branch to work on. 

When you're ready to return to your current version you can do

git checkout master

assuming your current version is on the master branch.

If you're not using git locally, what are you using on the client side for version control?

Eamonn Baker March 22, 2016

Hi Tim .  Thanks fro your email No, I am not using GIT. I don't know how to set this up  -it all looks a bit intimidating for a new user  Strange terminology etc - Terminal etc  .   I am using  BitBucket and SourceTree . Do you know how to do this with BitBucket/SourceTree ?

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2016

SourceTree is just a graphical front-end for Git.  You can do the same basic steps within SourceTree.

First make sure to commit any uncommitted changes that you have. 

You can 'checkout' a commit - setting your working directory to that version - by double-clicking a commit within SourceTree's history (the "Log View").  When you do so, you should see that the commit you double-clicked on is now bold and has the "HEAD" tag applied to it.

That will set your working directory to the correct version.  You can then use the "Branch" button to create a new branch.  Make sure "checkout new branch" is checked - it should be, by default.  You should see a little branch icon appear, pointing at the same commit your HEAD is on.  This is because you have created a new branch but it has not yet diverged.

Now you can edit your code, making the small change.  When you're done, commit your changes.  Now you should see that the branch has indeed branched off from the original commit.  Copy your code wherever it needs to go to deploy it.

When you're ready to work again, double-click on "master" in the left sidebar or double-click on the top commit on the master branch in the log view.  You should see that commit now becomes bold and the branch "master" in the sidebar also becomes bold.  It won't be labeled "HEAD" because SourceTree only shows the HEAD tag when it's not at the tip of a branch, but you're now back on the master branch and your working directory has been restored to the stuff that you were working on.

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2016

I should mention, SourceTree can also be used a graphical front-end for mercurial.  If you're using mercurial, I can't help you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events