How do i set branch permissions for a user in bitbucket server?

sravan kumar velagapuni August 29, 2016

Hello,

I installed Bitbucket Server and trying to setup new repositories with multiple branches. I created multiple users and trying to add them to branch permissions option in a repository. Except me i am unable to find any other uder i just added. Please let me know if i have to do anything else to find user in add permissions option in branch permission. 

3 answers

1 vote
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2016

Hi @sravan kumar velagapuni,

the user and group picker in the branch permissions administration screen will only show users and groups that have at least read level access to the repository.

You should make sure that the users you are trying to add either:

1. are part of a group that has access to the repository
  2. have been granted explicit access to the repository

Check out this KB article linking to the different levels of permissions in Bitbucket Server.

I hope that helps, 

Felix

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2016

Hi Sravan

You will only be able to select users who have read/write access to the repository. In repository permissions/project permissions, check that the new users you created have access to the repo. Then add branch level permissions.

For example, if stash-users group has user-1, user-2, user-3 and the group has read/write access to Repo-A, then you can set branch level permissions to user-1, user-2, user-3.

If only user-3 has read/write access to Repo-A, then you will only be able to set branch level permissions to user-3 and not user-1 and user-2.

From what you are describing, the users you have created do not have read/write permissions to your repository. Fixing that should resolve your issue.

Thanks

Bhushan

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2016

Branch permissions are actually restrictions. Are those users already added under repository level or project level?

You are restricting access to certain users when they are added under branch permissions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events