Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I request my online repositories be compressed?

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2022

As the subject says …

Thanks. 

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2022

Hi, @ChuckieAJ! Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community. 

I found the repository that was showing 1GB on your workspace, so I ran the GC against this repo and managed to reduce its size. Just to give you some context, the GC runs periodically on the server, so unless the auto GC has not been run on the server and you reach the repository size limit, the GC is not mandatory. 

I also would like to share with you that we have a feature request to allow users to mark repositories for git GC, as you can check here:

Please consider adding yourself as a watcher to receive the updates as we make progress with this. If you are not familiar with our Feature Request Policy, you can read more about it here.

Feel free to share any additional questions or concerns regarding this case.

Kind regards,
Caroline

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2022

Thanks @Caroline R . I have just added myself as a watcher on that ticket and upvoted it.

Thanks for running GC on the repro in question.

Like Caroline R likes this
0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2022

Hi @ChuckieAJ 

To compress means here with reference to git is to optimise the size of the repository

What you can do is perform a git gc from local and force push the repo to remote repository

Here's the guideh ttps://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/reduce-repository-size/

Thanks,

Pramodh

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2022

Thanks. I have run the command locally. But historically I find the online repository does not actually compress.

Also, when I go to "Push" via SourceTree the "Force Push" is disabled.

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2022

I since found out how to Force Push by activating the setting. So I have done this now. It now says it is 1GB. I would like a member of staff to perform their own compact for me at their end of my projects and let us see if it reduces more. Thank you.

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2022

Hi @ChuckieAJ 

It only optimises the way git stores th data if they do it from their end, actually files should be removed inorder to reduce the size!!

You need to create a support ticket in order to let them know on the request

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2022

But this is the thing - I understood that free users can't raise support tickets any more. I know for fact that when Atlassian staff compress my projects they dramatically reduce in size. Yet when I had the email about being unable to raise support tickets this was understandably an area of concern for me.

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2022

Hi @ChuckieAJ 

I have tagged the question to Atlassian, they will be in touch with you soon.

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2022

Awesome.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events