Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I migrate from a private git server to Bitbucket Server without manually creating all the projects/repositories again?

Martin Puza January 25, 2016

I would like to move all the repositories from our old server (gitblit) to Bitbucket Server for the JIRA integration.

Is there a way to mass-import all the repositories without manually recreating all the projects and repositories and cloning/pushing them again?

Also, is there a way to directly link our JIRA projects with Bitbucket, so I don't need to recreate all the Bitbucket projects? The link has been established, but I can only really see JIRA users.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2016

There is the Stash Importer tool that will help accomplish part of what you're after and reduce some of the manual work.

The command line tool will take a collection of repositories on disk, create the project/repositories and then push them to Bitbucket Server. It can do this iteratively so you can refine the project/repo names for each on-disk repository. You'll need to have a clone of all the repositories you'd like to import on the same machine that the script is being run from. 

The binary is available at https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/stash-importer/downloads/stash-importer-0.1-distribution.zip

There is a readme file in the binary distribution which explains how to use it.

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2016

* A quick search in the Atlassian Marketplace returns nothing for an "gitblit" related add-ons.

Reference: https://www.wildcardcorp.com/blog/migrating-a-lot-of-repositories-to-stash

So I guess your best way here is to create it via the BBSERV API. A quick search in google said something about a company migrating them programatically via scripts, just like this.

Reference: https://www.wildcardcorp.com/blog/migrating-a-lot-of-repositories-to-stash

0 votes
Martin Puza January 26, 2016

Thanks to both of you!

I managed to import our projects with a combination of both solutions.

The Stash Importer nicely created the projects and repositories, but failed actually importing those:

Failed to create Stash repository for repository "Something": Failed to create repository "Something" in project "ABC": key not found: cloneUrl

Probably some changes to the API?

Anyway, I then regexed the devil out of the import.list to fit the clone_repos script, which (after a minor alteration) nicely moved all the repositories. I think there's room for improvement (by using bare repos and mirrors), but it worked nicely.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2016

Glad we can help you out smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events