How do I let users self register with the Crowd directory from Bitbucket?

Mathew Benson February 7, 2019

I have Bitbucket integrated with Crowd so I can use the SSO for Bitbucket, Jira, and Confluence.  I've enabled self registration in Bitbucket, but user accounts are created in the internal directory.  Either how do I setup Bitbucket so it adds the account to Crowd, or how do I redirect the login/register to link from Bitbucket to Crowd?

1 answer

0 votes
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2019

Hi @Mathew Benson

Quoting Atlassian's documentation:

Bitbucket Server provides a "read-only" connection to external directories for user management. This means that users and groups, fetched from any external directory, can only be modified or updated in the external directory itself, rather than in Bitbucket Server.

Since the connection to Crowd is read-only, self registered accounts will only be created in Bitbucket's internal directory.

As far as I know, there is no way to change the default public signup link in Bitbucket and even if there was, as of today there is no public signup link in Crowd. I guess your best option is to disable public signup in Bitbucket and enable it in Jira instead (if not already done).

Mathew Benson February 12, 2019

Am I understanding correctly that we can use Crowd to provide a SSO solution, and we can enable user to self register, but we can't do both at the same time.  In other words, I would need users to self register with Confluence, Jira, Bitbucket, and Bamboo.

Is there a way to just redirect the login/signup to Jira, Crowd, or something that can create a Crowd account?  Or do I just have to put obnoxious pages on all my servers to notify people they need to go to the Jira server to create an account.

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2019

You can't have both at the same time in Bitbucket Server as it is a limitation of Bitbucket Server. But it will work in Jira, Confluence and Bamboo.

When public signup is enabled on the latter applications, Crowd will actually add the user to all directories assigned to Jira/Confluence/Bamboo as explained at the bottom of this page.

That's why I was suggesting to disable public up on Bitbucket Server. You will have SSO on this application provided that the account was previously created through Jira/Confluence/Bamboo.

The bad news is that as far as I know there is no way to redirect Bitbucket's public signup link to Jira/Confluence/Bamboo's public sign up page.

Like tengbehoctaviusfk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events