How do I get my profile picture straight?

joel3000 September 18, 2017

I put my profile picture in straight and it turns sideways. How do I fix this?

1 answer

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2017

Hi Joel,

This is a common bug on photos taken from smartphones that use the EXIF rotation tag to get the right direction as "up" in the photo. Lots of image processing libraries (like the ones used in Bitbucket) don't support the rotation tag, which means you might see images with the wrong rotation.

As an example, here's a problem with Confluence (since fixed) of the same issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-32762

Generally the workaround for this is opening the image in something like Preview (macOS) or your default photo viewer in Windows and re-saving the image. The program will re-encode the JPEG data which will fix the problem with the rotation tag.

Cheers,
Daniel

P.S. If this answer helped, please hit the checkmark on the left to mark it as accepted. Thanks!

Sneha Sharma November 22, 2018

Thank you it helped me in fixing the issue,i opened image and resaved now iam able to see the image in correct direction

Natosha Anderson May 2, 2021

Thank you much...it fixed my problem!!

Sabrina Estes December 13, 2022

Fixed my issue, as well.  Thanks!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events