How do I get local branches to track remote ones in SourceTree 2.0.20.1?

Deleted user May 11, 2017

Please forgive the general nature of this question, but I am a newbie when it comes to Git/SourceTree.

Before I updated SourceTree, I had a fairly conventional setup: local develop branch tracking remote origin/develop and local master tracking remote origin/master.  (At least this is what I think I had.)

I have used all the steps of the new installer and it has left me with just a local master branch.  When I right-click it, there is no option to track a remote branch.  I am using BitBucket for the remote.

Can anyone please point me at a guide for how to set up local/remote tracking 'properly'.

Any help at all would be very gratefully received.

1 answer

2 votes
Deleted user May 11, 2017

I think I have solved this.  The trick was to delete the local project, leaving the containing project directory in place, and then use the SourceTree Clone option to get the whole repository 'fresh' from the online BitBucket.

What I describe above got me a local master tracked by a remote origin/master.  I then created a local develop branch based on the master.  Right-clicking this allowed me to set its remote tracking branch to origin/develop.  I did get an 'Are you sure?' warning dialog, but I think (hope) I can safely ignore that.

This seems to have put me back where I was before the upgrade.  Hope this helps if anyone has the same problem.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events