How do I get BitBucket to link to Jira (via the shortcut)

Danny Frencham October 10, 2013

This refers to the "shortcut button" on the top left of the screen, next to the BitBucket logo.

My organisation uses BitBucket, and Confluence(onDemand)/Jira(onDemand).

When clicking that button from BitBucket, the following is displayed:

"Connect Bitbucket with other great Atlassian products"

If I click the same button in Confluence or Jira, all the application links are displayed, and work correctly.

My BitBucket check-in's do appear correctly in Jira, so the systems appear to be linked correctly.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2013

You have this setup correctly but I can see how that might be confusing looking at it from Bitbucket. In other words, JIRA won't be linked from Bitbucket, rather, its the other way around as you indicated from your screenshots and the commits updating issues in JIRA.

To clarify, the commits from Bitbucket correspond to JIRA issues in that exact direct (Bitbucket -> JIRA) via the DVCS connector. Additionally, we automatically provide the app navigator a link to your Bitbucket Team account.

I would submit that what you are seeing in Bitbucket is for those that might not be aware that you can leverage these products this way.

From our documentation:

JIRA OnDemand includes the JIRA DVCS Connector add-on to connect Bitbucket code hosting service with JIRA. The DVCS Connector allows users to see Bitbucket code commits in an issue's Commits tab in JIRA. By including keywords in Bitbucket commit messages, users can process issues through a JIRA OnDemand workflow (for example, Close, Reopen, and so forth) .

More details available here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Getting+started+with+Bitbucket+and+OnDemand

Hope this helps!

Ross Westerbur June 3, 2014

So just to clarify - does that mean that the Bitbucket application navigator can only link to an OnDemand JIRA instance? There's no way to point the Bitbucket application navigator to a downloaded/self-hosted JIRA instance? (Even by setting up the DVCS connector?)

aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2014

This is correct Ross. We presently do not have a way to configure the Application Navigator in Bitbucket to point at a behind the firewall instance of JIRA. The present connection is handled by our OnDemand billing systems. We are working on changing this, but I don't have any eta.

Like Mario Carlos González likes this
David Gruber July 6, 2014

So the issue here seems to be, when using JIRA and Confluence OnDemand with Bitbucket auto configured by my.atlassian.com, most Bitbucket users see the same problem mentioned above and only team admins get working links in the Bitbucket application navigator to JIRA and Confluence OnDemand, is that expected for the time being?

Brandon Vulaj August 5, 2014

I'm not sure that this was actually answered. So the application-links in BitBucket will never show anything other than the following? I, like above, use OnDemand, and everything is connected fine. I just would like to see my applications linked from BitBucket as well so I can more easily navigate between applications.

Dan Arnold February 24, 2015

I have the same question. I am using (on-demand) or the new name Cloud to link JIRA and Confluence. The BitBucket screenshot above is confusing and annoying. Why would this hint that the apps can be linked be persisting after you have purchased and linked the apps? It causes far more confusion than help. So, is it possible to eliminate this nag screen from the menu? It's a yes or no question. Please answer the question, rather than try to explain how it might be helpful in the most narrow context. Nag screens are are a PIA in an app or service that I pay for. CAN I ELIMINATE THIS MENU? YES or NO

Security Administrator July 19, 2015

We've just come up against the same thing, this UI makes no sense. We are using JIRA, Confluence and BitBucket. The first two are skinnable and can have custom shortcut navigation. BitBucket isn't skinnable (anymore) and can't have a custom shortcut navigation. Instead BitBucket's shortcut navigation contains an advertisement for functionality that doesn't exist. What's the deal?

Vincent Labreche July 27, 2015

Same here, got Jira/Confluence/Bitbucket OnDemand as one package, but Bitbucket shows the bad "Connect with some other stuff you obviously don't yet have!"

kevindh89 August 5, 2015

We have the same issue, hmm not really a clever UI. Any hope on fixing this soon?

Phillip Gomez January 24, 2016

I found this a little annoying so I wrote a userscript as a workaround.

https://gist.github.com/fillet54/2ec66bfd6ce8da9f0a7f

0 votes
Karim Omar July 17, 2016

You can write a little Atlassian Connect add-on to solve this. It should be possible to apply this to a Bitbucket Team, too (instead of a single account).

https://developer.atlassian.com/static/bitbucket/modules/webItems.html

File: <your_base_url>/connect.json

{
  "key": "custom-bitbucket-app-switcher",
  "name": "Custom Bitbucket App Switcher",
  "description": "Adds custom entries to Bitbuckets App Switcher",
  "baseUrl": "<your_base_url>",
  "scopes": ["account"],
  "contexts": ["account"],
  "modules": {
    "webItem": [{
      "key": "appswitcher-confluence",
      "url": "<your_confluence_url>",
      "name": {
        "value": "Confluence"
      },
      "location": "org.bitbucket.appswitcher.navlink"
    },
    {
      "key": "appswitcher-jira",
      "url": "<your_jira_url>",
      "name": {
        "value": "Jira"
      },
      "location": "org.bitbucket.appswitcher.navlink"
    }]

}
}

Installation

• Customize the URLs <your_base_url>, <your_confluence_url>, <your_jira_url> above
  • Paste this into a file called connect.json (or whatever name you prefer)
  • Put this file in a sub directory of <your_base_url>
  • Go to your Bitbucket settings or the settings of your team -> "Manage Integrations"
  • Choose "Install add-on from URL"
  • Paste <your_base_url>/connect.json
  • There you go smile

Note: <your_base_url> must be an https:// based URL, https://developer.atlassian.com/static/bitbucket/concepts/connect_descriptor.html. I used https://firebase.google.com/ to host the file like one of the Atlassian examples.

Danny Frencham July 17, 2016

Thanks - you know this is a 3 year old question, right?

Karim Omar July 17, 2016

Yep, but there were some comments in 2015/2016 and the suggested solutions were a little annoying, too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events