Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I connect a Bitbucket repository with a Jira Cloud project?

Daniel Temple April 28, 2017

I have followed the instructions to enable Bitbucket and JIRA integration in the Cloud, which all seems fine.

I was expecting to find a JIRA Project configuration allowing me to specify which Bitbucket repository(ies) were related to that project, or alternatively a Bitbucket repo configuration to point to a JIRA project.

But I can't find this anywhere, all I can see is (in JIRA) under DVCS accounts, a repository mentioned. But this is in the non-project specific configurations.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/connect-bitbucket-cloud-to-jira-cloud-applications-814190686.html

What am I misunderstanding or missing?

7 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2017

Hi Daniel!

In that case you might want to do it from the JIRA site. To link a project to a repository, select Projects in the top navigation bar and choose the JIRA project you want to connect to Bitbucket Cloud. Then choose Add source code and enter the URL of the repository. You can find this information at Connect JIRA Cloud to Bitbucket Cloud.

Hope this helps :)

Ana

Daniel Temple May 1, 2017

Thanks, that's what I was missing.

Like Muhammad adinugraha likes this
Guillermo May 24, 2018

It does not show up the "Add source code" for me. And I already added the Jira plugin in BitBucket. What else am I missing here?

Guillermo May 24, 2018

@Ana Retamal can you please update the documentation on how to do this? I cannot find the add source code either. Thanks

Shannara August 11, 2018

Please update documentation. There is no "add source code" option.

Jay Grayson October 15, 2018

For anyone that runs across this post, this is how I was able to successfully link a BitBucket Server 5.14.1 project to a Jira 7.12.3 Project:

• From the Project Settings page (Projects from the Settings Cog at the Top Right)
  • Select the project, in the list on the page that appears, that you wish to modify
  • At the very bottom of the page, there is a section called Settings that contains a link to Configure Project Links
  • After clicking that anchor, you will be able to configure the link to this project by clicking the Add Link (top right of empty list) and choosing the server that you wish to connect to
  • For me, I chose BitBucket Server and was presented with a module that ask for the name or key
  • If you start typing, you will see the list begin to populate with your BitBucket projects

I hope this helps someone.  I only have these versions of Jira and BitBucket.  I am not a heavy tester, I am just a user.  I will not be able to help much with the changes and different GUI options that Atlassian post each week.  :)

Like A_ S_ M_ Sayem likes this
joseff November 5, 2018

I've tried this operation with Bitbucket Server v5.12.0 but I haven't found the project link (aka. EntityLink).
Is it only available for versions of Bitbucket >= 5.14.1?

7 votes
Moritz Mair May 22, 2018

I can't find a "Add source code" or "Add repository" button in the suggested places. Has it moved again? I already connected Jira and Bitbucket.

Do we need to install an plugin for this? Something like "Git integration for Jira"

Thanks for your help. Maybe it would be helpful to keep documentation up to date or at least tell us when it was last updated.

Moritz Mair June 20, 2018

So one month passed and we used Jira in the meantime.

There are two ways of linking your Jira and your Bitbucket project:

1. via bitbucket account or team Settings -> Find integrations -> Jira
  2. in every Jira project Add Item -> Repository

First one will enable you to use commit messages like "IB-2 #done" which will link the commit to the issue IB-2 in Jira.

The second one just creates a link to your Bitbucket repo so you can just switch over to your bitbucket repo with one click.

And thats all integration there is that I could find.

Like # people like this
Shannara August 11, 2018

Ah, looks like something has changed since your post from over a month ago.

There is no settings > find integrations > jira in bitbucket.

And there is no add item > repository in jira.

Like Nova-Tron likes this
Chris Romp September 7, 2018

Par for the course with Atlassian these days. Everything has dramatically changed and the documentation hasn't kept pace. I can't find a damn thing anymore. 😤

Like # people like this

For anyone that runs across this post, this is how I was able to successfully link a BitBucket Server 5.14.1 project to a Jira 7.12.3 Project:

• From the Project Settings page (Projects from the Settings Cog at the Top Right)
  • Select the project, in the list on the page that appears, that you wish to modify
  • At the very bottom of the page, there is a section called Settings that contains a link to Configure Project Links
  • After clicking that anchor, you will be able to configure the link to this project by clicking the Add Link (top right of empty list) and choosing the server that you wish to connect to
  • For me, I chose BitBucket Server and was presented with a module that ask for the name or key
  • If you start typing, you will see the list begin to populate with your BitBucket projects

I hope this helps someone.  I only have these versions of Jira and BitBucket.  I am not a heavy tester, I am just a user.  I will not be able to help much with the changes and different GUI options that Atlassian post each week.  :)

Azfar Masut
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2019

Im still confuse, what does this link do? I configured it, but I cant find any link to bitbucket project here in JIRA. Someone help me please? Thanks

4 votes
Rachel Lucas January 9, 2019

AddRepo.png

Luis Lohmann February 15, 2019

This doesn't work for me. Only the shortcut option appears. :/

Markus Iseli November 22, 2020

I just (Nov. 22, 2020) had the same issue: only the "shortcut" option showed.

Logging out and back into Atlassian account fixed the problem.

Seems to be a bug.

Like # people like this
0 votes
skchinna7 November 4, 2023

It is hard to connect the jira to bitbucket . but it is easy to connect the jira to github. and some articles are not helpful to me i don't see the settings which are mentioned in the text rather it should show me the image way which is the easiest way to understand the products very better way

0 votes
JEENI September 21, 2020

Hi there, I don't see the

"Add source code"

It says that I have successfully connected our BitBucket and our repo appears in the settings DVCS account and I can see and access them there but the still don't appear in the "Code <?>" view on the left of the project.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andi

Markus Iseli November 21, 2020

Hi Andi,

This link explains it all - and it worked - at least for me:

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/use-jira-software-projects-in-bitbucket/

The section "Link a project to a repository manually" did the trick for me. In particular the following two steps: 

1. In your repository navigation panel, click Jira issues. In the issue list, select the folder icon located at the top right-hand side and click Manage linked projects.

1. In the dialog, select a project from the dropdown, then click Link project.

Hope this helped.

Like Dan Bricarello likes this
0 votes

• At the very bottom of the page, there is a section called Settings that contains a link to Configure Project Links

I hope this helps someone.  I only have these versions of Jira and BitBucket.  I am not a heavy tester, I am just a user.  I will not be able to help much with the changes and different GUI options that Atlassian post each week.

Azfar Masut
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2019

Hey Jay,

After configuring above, what happened? I cant see any bitbucket project links within my JIRA project. Where is it located? In the create branch?

0 votes
dboroja December 1, 2017

Hello Ana, I am trying hard to find the location within the project that you are suggesting however, no luck. Could you be more specific or is there a white paper on how to connect JIRA project to a specific Bitbucket repo. .. I am running JIRA 7.5.3 (server) and Bitbucket Academic Cloud option. Thank you, Denis 

Anuj Aggarwal December 20, 2017

Hi Denis,

Unfortunately, documentation is not updated and I struggled as well to connect my repo with the JIRA project.

You have to find these options in the left navigation bar:

Issues

Releases

Add Item

Settings

Then, under Settings, you would find link to add repo.

Hope this helps.

Dave Furlani January 11, 2023

I've followed all the steps I can find that match either comments above or the official doco (which has gaps and/or is out of date). This is not as simple as it could be with clear steps and examples like Atlassian used to provide. Anyway...

After following all those steps I have a link/shortcut to the repo, but not the Development Tools link at the bottom of the Nav bar, not the Create Branch and Create Commit options in the right hand panel on each issue view.

What are the steps in Jira Cloud that result in having those options/features available to all users in the project? This config is so much more frustrating than it needs to be. I assume it's pretty simple once you have/know the right steps

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events