Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the "More Information" pop up During a merge conflict?

koganm July 10, 2017

When receiving a merge conflict on a pull request, the below message appears in the "More Information" pop up. The problem is that it suggests a method that will automatically merge the branches without anyone approving the pull request.

I need to know how to configure this pop up to include instructions on how to resolve the conflicts but still wait for the approval of the reviewers in order to merge

Merge conflict

Close

This pull request has conflicts.

You must resolve the conflicts by manually merging this branch into test. This will merge the pull request remotely.

Step 1: Checkout the target branch and merge in the changes from the source branch. Resolve conflicts.

git checkout test
git pull origin feature/BRANCH-some-process

Step 2: After the merge conflicts are resolved, stage the changes accordingly, commit the changes and push.

git commit
git push origin HEAD

Step 3: The pull request will be updated and marked as merged.

2 answers

0 votes
Peter Freeman May 25, 2018

@koganm,  Did you get an answer?  We would like to change that "more information" page too. It causes harm in our situation because developers push into a synched branch in their fork.

We would like to be able to provide different instructions or a link to a Confluence page with instructions.

EDIT: This issue has been reported:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-8480

0 votes
René Brandt September 1, 2017

Hi, I just registered to tell you I am experiencing the same "issue" at work, although it solved itself. We usually resolve conflicts by pulling the destination branch into the source branch. However, we also got this error for one merge conflict which proposed the other way around (effectively merging manually).

What shocked me that googling the mesage for exact matches only returns this very page: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22You+must+resolve+the+conflicts+by+manually+merging+this+branch+into%22

So, is there any reason why Bitbucket proposes 99% of the times to do a dest->source merge (so we can merge with the button in the PR), but now it proposes the other way around?

@koganm have you tried to merge dest->source and see if that resolved the issue (instead of following the steps to merge source->dest)?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events