Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i migrate SVN to GIT? Is there any procedure to verify this?

Pradeep Borse December 29, 2015

Hi I want to migrate my SVN Repo to GIT Repo. How can i do this? Is there any procedure or tool to verify this migration?

4 answers

0 votes
Manoj Shetty January 19, 2016

Hi All

Thanks for the solution.

I have another question?

- if we use the SVN Mirror add-on in Bitbucket [on cloud], then can I continue to work on Git repo or should I also keep the SVN in Sync with Git repo.

Can I stop using SVN?   How much time is required for the Migration from SVN to Git - does it migrate all objects?

regards    

0 votes
Semyon Vadishev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2015

Hi Pradeep,

If you're using Bitbucket Server, consider migrating your SVN projects to Git with SVN Mirror add-on for Bitbucket Server that is capable of importing SVN history and keeping SVN and Git repositories in sync afterwards.

If you're using some other Git hosting solution, try using standalone SubGit tool that supports both import and mirror functionality as well (SVN Mirror add-on is built upon SubGit).

Both SVN Mirror add-on and SubGit are the most advanced tools for migrating SVN repositories to Git:

• Bi-directional Git-SVN mirror that allows keeping both Git and SVN repositories writable during migration;
  • Automatic SVN history analysis for detecting existing branches and tags;
  • Converting svn:mergeinfo properties into proper merge commits in Git repository;
  • Converting svn:eol-style and svn:mime-type properties into .gitattributes files;
  • Converting svn:ignore into .gitignore files;
  • Many more features.

Regards,
Semyon 

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 30, 2015

Hi Pradeep, 

If you are using Bitbucket Cloud, there's a link which allow you to import your repo. Just login on Bitbucket account and go to Repositories -> Import Repository

Cheers, 
Renato 

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

Assume you already read this https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/migrating-overview/ ?

No procedure to verify it, but i guess if you have some downtime, you could write a bash oneliner that checks commit by commit for the same commit message or so?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events