Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can dictator- lieutenant workflow be achieved in atlassian stash?

Ken Failbus August 18, 2013

I would like all the develop teams in my organization to follow dictator-lieutenant workflow, how can this be achieved in Atlassian stash.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
ThomasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013

Hi Ken,

I would suggest there are two ways to achieve this workflow in Stash.

1. Fork based. A dictator would be the only person permissioned to write to the core repository. Lieutenants would have their own forks, when they the think the code is ready to go the lieutenant would create a pull request from their fork to the core repository for the dictator to review/approve. Regular developers would follow the same method submitting from their forks to the lieutenant's fork.

2. Branch based. In Stash you can restrict writing to certain branches. So again you can have a set of core branches (master, develop, production etc) owned by the dictator and a set of feature branches owned by lieutenants (feature/user-management etc) with developers creating their own story branches (JIRA-123/user-picker).

The keys features of both are controlling access via permissions at the repository/branch level and creating pull requests to promote your work to the next level.

Personally I feel that the branch based model is easier to work with and understand.

Hope that helps,

Tom

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events