How can Stash projects fit our project structure

Rüdiger Härtel December 16, 2014

Hello,

I am evaluating Stash for the use in the company. I ask my self how does stash fit our structure?

We still use CVS. For each project there is a repository and for common code we have a separate project.

For using git I would just convert the existing directory structure.

But, how would I organize a stash project to fit this structure?

Example:

220000/          common code

2201234/        All Code for Project A, The Projectfile of the IDE know that files from 2200000/ are needed

2202222/        All Code for Project B

Thanks

Rüdiger

1 answer

0 votes
Bryan Turner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2014

Rüdiger,

When using Stash, you'd have the option of mirroring that layout exactly if you wanted to, or you could do something a little different.

If I understand your layout correctly, "project" and "repository" really seem synonymous there ("For each project there is a repository" suggests projects and repositories are one to one). You could produce the same layout in Stash with:

Common Project\
    Repository for common code
Project A\
Repository for project A
Project B\
Repository for project B

If Project A and Project B might grow new repositories that are not common code, this type of layout might make good sense. It leaves room for there to be additional repositories for each project, including additional common code repositories if you started breaking down common code into distinct libraries.

This is the type of layout we use internally, where we have projects and repositories laid out like:

JIRA project\
    JIRA repository
    Repositories for JIRA plugins
Stash project\
    Stash repository
    Repositories for Stash plugins
Confluence project\
    Confluence repository
    Repositories for Confluence plugins

Alternatively, if you just have those three repositories and they're all you're likely to have for a while, you could just create a simple layout like:

Complete Project\
    Repository for common code
    Repository for Project A
    Repository for Project B

Ultimately, it's not really too critical which of these you choose initially. Stash will allow you to move a repository from one project to another, retaining all files, pull requests, comments, etc. The only thing that changes is the clone URL.

Hope this helps,
Bryan Turner
Atlassian Stash

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events