Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I improve one of my pull requests in my IDE?

Roland Waldner March 11, 2014

I forked a bitbucket-git-project and pulled it on my local maschine. Then i created a new branch "issue_12345" and fixed some bugs. i pushed it to my bitbucket-fork-git-repository and submitted it as a pull request to the original bitbucket-git-repository. everything works great.

Now i realized that my pull request has to be improved.

How can i imporve my pull request on my local maschine in my IDE? i could not find any helpful information about this.

I found the "edit" button at the pull request "files" section on bitbucket platform. there i could easily make some small modifications to my pull request. but this is not optimal for more complex modifications on a pull request. sometimes you really want to make those modifications locally in your IDE.

Is this possible with bitbucket?

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Anthon March 12, 2014

Doesn't a PR become read only once it's accepted? I'm not sure it makes sense to allow a PR to be updated once it's merged into the target repository.

The right thing to do here I tink is simply to create a new PR with the more recent changes. That is certainly what we do here.

If a PR has not been accepted yet then it should definitely be picking up the changes and giving you the option to update an exitsing PR as long as you are pushing to the same branch in the source.

Roland Waldner March 12, 2014

yes, i was talking about pull requests which are not accepted yet. i could not find out how to update those. in my case new commits to the same branch do not update the pull request.

Michael Anthon March 12, 2014

Ah, I misread the original question, my apologies.

0 votes
Roland Waldner March 11, 2014

I guess a found part of a/the solution:

1. Clone your fork

2. Checkout the branch you used for the pull request

3. Make changes

4. git add .

5. git commit

6. Push commit (to your fork repository)

So far so good but it seems that the pull request is not updated automatically as soon as the branch (on which the pull request is based) is updated.

There is an article about this phenomenon in Stash here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASHKB/Pull+Requests+Not+Reflecting+Changes+Pushed+to+Remote+Branch+After+an+Upgrade

Question: is there a way to let pull requests be updated (autoatically/manually) as soon as the branch (on which the pull requests is based) is updated?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events