How can I backup a remote Stash instance with the Stash Backup Client?

Clifford Sanders November 28, 2014

I downloaded stash-backup-distribution-1.6.0.zip and unziped it.

When i execute:

java -Dstash.password="stashtest" -Dstash.user="admin" -Dstash.baseUrl="http://stash.exmaple.org:7990" -Dstash.home=/var/atlassian/application-data/stash -jar stash-backup-client.jar

it fails with:

014-11-28 20:38:08,503 INFO         Initializing
2014-11-28 20:38:10,309 INFO         Using Stash 3.5.0
2014-11-28 20:38:10,368 INFO         Contacting Stash
2014-11-28 20:38:10,433 ERROR        A backup could not be created. Reason: The configured STASH_HOME, /var/atlassian/application-data/stash, does not appear to be a valid home directory. Creating a backup requires direct access to the home directory for the running instance to allow it to interact with the repositories.
com.atlassian.stash.internal.backup.client.BackupException: The configured STASH_HOME, /var/atlassian/application-data/stash, does not appear to be a valid home directory. Creating a backup requires direct access to the home directory for the running instance to allow it to interact with the repositories.
	at com.atlassian.stash.internal.backup.client.layout.DefaultStashHome.verify(DefaultStashHome.groovy:71) ~[stash-backup-core-1.6.0.jar:na]
	at com.atlassian.stash.internal.backup.client.DefaultBackupClient.backup(DefaultBackupClient.groovy:44) ~[stash-backup-client.jar:1.6.0]
	... 5 more frames available in the log file

When I execute the backup client on the Stash instance is works.

Regards

Clifford

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2014

Hi Clifford,

As described in our documentation:

• Backing up Stash using the client
    "The Backup Client must be run from somewhere with access to the Stash home directory. Usually, you will run the Backup Client directly on the Stash server."

In that case, the answer would be yes only if your remote server can also access your "Stash home" via network (i.e. you've got it mounted in the remote host because your Stash Home is in a NFS).

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2014

I don't think the backup client supports this directly.

You could use the operating systems remote execution capabilities,  e.g. sysinternals on Windows and rsh on linux, or a generic ssh.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events