Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How 5 user limit works?

Zeeshan Haider December 6, 2017

Hi,

I'm new to Bitbucket and evaluating it for my project. Currently I have a very small team of 2-3 people and I'm fine with free plan of 5 users. However I have some questions. How does the 5 user limit works, is it per repository?

Let's say I have created two private repositories and gave users 1 and 2 access to repo 1 and users 3 and 4 to repo 2 respectively. Does it count as 3 users or have I reached the limit of 5 users? And in another scenario someone else created a repository and gave me access to it, will it also count in MY user limit overall or for the person that created the repository?

Another question, what if I revoke permissions for certain user, will it free up a user slot for the repository?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

(Note: edited message for clarification)

Hi Zeeshan! Bitbucket will count counts the number of users in total that have access to anything in your account. From your example:

Let's say I have created two private repositories and gave users 1 and 2 access to repo 1 and users 3 and 4 to repo 2 respectively.

In that case you're adding 'User1', 'User2', 'User3' and 'User4', so your account will have a total of 5 users (keep in mind you're counted as 1 user). Now let say that you create another repo 'Repo3' and grant access to it to 'User1', 'User3'; it still counts as 5 users in your account. Now you add a new user 'User5' and grant him access to 'Repo3'; you have 6 users now, you'll be exceeding the free plan.

what if I revoke permissions for certain user, will it free up a user slot for the repository?

Yes, if you revoke access from 1 user it will free up 1 slot. Note that you need to revoke access to your account completely. If that person had access to 2 repos in your account and you only revoke his access from 1 of them, he still has access to some content in your account so it counts as 1 user.

I hope this clarifies your questions, Zeeshan :) Let us know if anything is not clear.

Best regards,

Ana

Zeeshan Haider December 7, 2017

Hi Ana,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Please clarify just one more thing. What happens if some other user has granted me an access to their repository, now I'm not the admin or owner of the repo just a user that have access to some other repo maintained by someone else. Does all the users that have access to that repository will count as my users in my account?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2017

Hi Zeeshan, you're not the owner of that repository, so those users will not count towards your limit. They'll only count towards the repo owner's limit. It doesn't matter to how many repos you're invited, this will not affect your plan status.

Hope this clarifies!

Ana

Like rphilip_eig likes this
Zeeshan Haider December 10, 2017

Thanks Ana. Really appreciated.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2017

Glad I could help!

uri247 June 17, 2019

I'll piggyback on this thread.

I just got the notification about exceeding my user limit. As far as I know, I didn't change anything recently on any of my repositories. 

Is there any tool that aggregates all the user access on my repositories?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
June 17, 2019

Welcome Uri!

I've checked your Bitbucket Cloud account and I could see you're well under the limit. Have you made any changes since the time you posted your question? 

If not, can you confirm to which Bitbucket account are you referring to so we can have a look? 

Best regards,

Ana 

kapitan July 15, 2019

very helpful explanation, upvoted!

Like Ana Retamal likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events