Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having troubles migrating svn to stash at the svn-migration-scripts.jar sync-rebase step

Deleted user June 2, 2014

Hi there. I've been able to complete every step of the migration up until the sync-rebase step from this guide:

https://www.atlassian.com/git/migration#!migration-synchronize

The repo will eventually end up in a Stash repo, but I'm using a local repository for the transition period.

I was able to perform a successful "git svn fetch" to see commits coming in from the old SVN repo. However, I receive the following error when I try these commands:

• java -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -jar ../svn-migration-scripts.jar sync-rebase
  • java -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -jar ../svn-migration-scripts.jar sync-rebase --prefix=origin/

Note that I tried out the second command because of this thread. I had received the same warning from git-svn about needing to default the prefix to origin/

Both of those commands resulted in this error:

fatal: ambiguous argument 'remotes/trunk': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:
'git <command> [<revision>...] -- [<file>...]'
Error finding tracking ref for branch master

---------------------------------

Some other info:

• I'm currently on the master branch
  • here are a few branches listed in 'git branch -r'

origin/tags/ap-2.0.9
origin/trunk

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
jgauthier June 4, 2014

Hi Matthew, I have had the same problem but could not find a direct fix.

What I decided is to manually proceed with a merge: merge my origin/trunk (svn/trunk in my case) with the master. Then I could see the latest update received from "git svn fetch"

Hope this can help :)

Jerome

Deleted user June 11, 2014

Thanks for the help Jérôme. I ended up having to do most of the migrations manually myself. Once I performed the steps above, doing a rebase on git repository synced things up nicely.

Ramon Padilla October 15, 2015

Hi, I've just encountered the same problem and I'm a git newbie. Could you explain what you mean by doing the migrations manually?

jgauthier October 15, 2015

Hey, unfortunately it's something I did only once and quite a long time ago, so I don't really remember, sorry. Jerome

Ramon Padilla October 16, 2015

OK, I'll ask the question again and see if anyone comes up with a solution. Thanks.

6 votes
Support jobs.ch July 22, 2014

Workaround for this issue, just use an empty prefix while cloning:

git svn clone --prefix='' --stdlayout --authors-file=...

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2014

Not that it helps, but there is a public issue tracking this:

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/svn-migration-scripts/issue/2/git-20-incompatability

Jörgen Persson October 21, 2015

I had the same problem, but using --prefix='' solved the problem. Would be nice if the documentation (https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/migrating-convert) is updated. Using the following: svn-migration-scripts: using version 0.1.56bbc7f Git: using version 2.6.2 Subversion: using version 1.8.8 git-svn: using version 2.6.2

Like Dave Zygadlo likes this
Matt Holbrook-Bull July 13, 2016

is there any way at all to fix this post-clone? it took so long for our clone to complete Im not sure I have the time to run it again.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2016

@Matt Holbrook-Bull It's been a while since I've used git-svn, and as such please take everything here with a grain of salt.

In theory you should just be able to rename the branch/tags locally to the expected format and it should work. So for example changing "refs/remotes/origin/tags/*" to "refs/remotes/tags/*". Before doing any manual changes on your repository I would first suggest taking a full backup of the clone (especially the .git folder) so that you don't have re-do the clone.

Changing the refs themselves should just require moving the .git/refs/remotes/origin contents up a directory. You'll also need to edit the .git/config file to something like this, where you no longer see 'origin/' in the fetch/branches/tags configuration.

[svn-remote "svn"] 
        url = https://svn.company.com/repos/
        fetch = project-foo/trunk:refs/remotes/trunk 
        branches = project-foo/branches/*:refs/remotes/* 
        tags = project-foo/tags/*:refs/remotes/tags/*
Like # people like this
Yoganand Bijapur October 26, 2016

after doing above steps edit .git/packed-refs file and delete "origin/". Then run "git svn fetch".

Then execute

java -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -jar ~/svn-migration-scripts.jar sync-rebase
Like # people like this
Tsvetomir Matov February 20, 2018

Thanks you Charles & Yoganand for the solution! It saved me many hours for new migration. 

Dave Zygadlo April 15, 2020

Updating my script to include --prefix='' has fixed my problem.

Atlassian really needs to update the documentation to reflect this!!

Nilay Karcaaltincaba November 3, 2020

Thanks Charles & Yoganand for the solution,vyou saved me from 4 days cloning too,and Atlassian should update the git migration documents it simply causes too much trouble and time loss..

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events