Grant write access to a branch, but not the entire repository in Bitbucket Server?

Edward Basiliere April 13, 2017

Hello,

I have a user who needs access to a single branch, but is not part of the development team. The problem is that we want to restrict access for this user to the rest of the repository. Is there a way to grant write access to a branch, but not the entire repo? It looks like branch permissions work more like restrictions and it would not be feasible to restrict branch access one by one. Bitbucket will not find the user when I try to grant permission to a specific branch without write access on the repo level as well.

Here is how permissions are currently set: The development team has a bitbucket group which has write permissions to the entire repository. A few select users of that group have write permissions to a few branches (master, development, etc).

We are currently on Bitbucket Server version 4.13

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2017

Hi Edward!

Branch permissions are set on a per-repository basis by specifying a user or group who already has access to a given repository. So unfortunately it won't be possible for you to grant access to a branch without grating permissions to the full repository, as you can see at Using branch permissions:

Branch permissions are actually restrictions, which are 
checked after project and repository level permissions.

I hope this answers your question, Edward. Let us know if you need anything else!

Edward Basiliere April 13, 2017

Hi Ana! Thank you for your response. I am disappointed that this is not possible, but we will make it work.

Thank you!

vadivelpm November 22, 2018

Hi Edward, Your statement is correct.

May Ana having a little misunderstanding.

All the users have full read access of the entire repo but we need write access for the specific branch for the specific user.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events