Git was not found on the PATH for Bitbucket. Install Git 1.8.0+, excluding 1.8.4.3, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, and restart Bitbucket.

Daniel Szabo September 24, 2015

Git was not found on the PATH for Bitbucket. Install Git 1.8.0+, excluding 1.8.4.3, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, and restart Bitbucket.

Since we are running rhel 6.5 I have to install git from source

I installed version 2.5.0 in a different directory other than /usr/bin/

Do I need to symlink this or move it or what?

2 answers

5 votes
Ben Humphreys
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2015

Hi Daniel,

One approach to solve this is to tell Bitbucket Server exactly where your Git binary is. You can do this by setting the following property in your bitbucket.properties file (use your path in place of the example):

plugin.bitbucket-git.path.executable=/usr/local/bin/git

If you do not have an existing bitbucket.properties file (you will if you have configured an external database), it can be created in the shared folder of your Bitbucket Server home directory.

More information on the bitbucket.properties file can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BitbucketServer/Bitbucket+Server+config+properties

Daniel Szabo September 25, 2015

I have created the properties file and added plugin.bitbucket-scm-git.path.executable=path to my git still getting the same error.. is it getting the git location from the start script?

Daniel Szabo September 28, 2015

I was able to just move the binaries for git to the /usr/bin/ directory and that worked.

Jason Joyner September 28, 2016

This property has a typo or it was changed... it is now

plugin.bitbucket-git.path.executable=/opt/git/bin/git
Ben Humphreys
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2018

Thanks Jason, nice catch. I've corrected the answer with the correct property you provided.

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
September 24, 2015

Hi Daniel, 

This sounds like some issue related to variables from your Linux. Check if your linux is looking for the version 2.5.0 or an older one. Try this:

which git

If this doesn't returns the git from your /usr/bin, then probably your OS is looking for an older version. You probably has a broken symbolic link. If is the case, you can re-do the symbolic likn to point to the new git version or fix that into your path environment. 

Cheers, 
Renato Rudnicki 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events