Git clients with Stash

Jason March 20, 2014

We currently use Subversion & FishEye + Crucible, however my team is looking at moving to Git and possibly Atlassian Stash.

There is a lot more functionality and possibilities with Git which will add complication that Stash seems to help with including workflow support and enforcing best practices.

My question is, how does having Stash manage Git impact users of Git clients? Does Stash enforce security, workflow functionality, etc outside of it's interface? I want to make sure that users can still use their Git clients and enjoy the security and workflow functionality regardless of the interface used.

Thanks.

Jason

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2014

Hi Jason,

We definitely enforce the security at the service layer, and the client should never be able to bypass that in any way.

Workflow is a little harder. For example we have a handy feature for automerging release branches, which is currently only triggered when merging a pull request (although technically that can happen if you push a merge for a PR that is already open).

We also have Stash specific integration in SourceTree which enables to interact with Stash without having to go to the web UI.

But in summary - no you shouldn't have to worry about using a particular client. :)

Charles

Jason March 24, 2014

Thanks Charles

0 votes
Jason March 20, 2014

I am curious if we would need to prevent users from using a client if they are able to workaround something that is inforced by security or process within the UI.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2014

Does Stash enforce security, workflow functionality, etc outside of it's interface?

Why would it want to manage it outside its scope? The answer is your users can use whatever client they want to use to interact with Stash.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events