Git Repository size shows 7GB in BitBucket Settings page

Saku Ramamoorthy July 12, 2017

Hello,

We have been getting repository size warnings on one of repos. Repo has few large files in three branches. I have deleted branches and performed garbage collection steps per below documentation's Garbage Collecting dead data:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/reduce-repository-size-321848262.html

Size of our repo was originally around 2GB, with several rounds of branch deletion, size now is at 7GB. Same repo in local environment is 70KB. Am I missing any steps? 

Thanks for your help!

Saku

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2017

Hi Saku! In some cases it's necessary that we run a garbage collection from our side too. I've checked your Bitbucket account but I couldn't find any big repo. Are you referring to a different Bitbucket account?

Cheers,

Ana

Thanks for the response!

Repo name is hrng_dbdumps

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2017

Hi Saku, I won't be able to find it just by the repo name, I need the name of the Bitbucket account too (the username, or the email address associated to it). If you don't want to share that info publicly in the Community, you can submit a ticket at support.atlassian.com. If you do, make sure to mention the ticket number here so we can take care of it ;)

Regards,

Ana

Hi Ana, I have created a support ticket as well. Here is the ticket number: BBS-59022.

Thanks,

Saku

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
July 12, 2017

I'm working on it, Saku :)

Thanks for quick response!

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
July 12, 2017

After running an aggressive garbage collection the size of the repo has decreased to 2.2 MB. Can I help you with anything else?

Hi Ana,   

Thanks for your help! I am trying to understand the issue.

We use this repo to transport database dump among lower tiers. Repo’s size is going to be roughly around 1GB. Branches would be deleted and recreated at the end of week. Is there any special command that needs to be added for garbage collection on our end? Is this gc that was performed manually runs on any automatic schedule? 

Thanks,

Saku 

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
July 12, 2017

Hi Saku,

The garbage collection on the remote can only be run from our end. There's one that runs automatically under certain conditions, but sometimes if it doesn't we can do it manually on behalf of users. If you need it, you can just contact us again and we'll help you with that.

Have a nice evening!
Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events