Game Maker not merging

SwagDiddly March 15, 2016

Not sure if this is the right forum to post on or if it should be the Game Maker forums, but might as well find out.

Basically me and my fellow classmates are making a project for Computer Science. We need some sort of versioning software, but Game Maker's built-in source control is crappy, so we made a repository on Bitbucket to combat the problem.

Unfortunately, when I make a change and select the uncommitted changes for pushing to the cloud, it seems not to pick them up. Is this a known problem? Do I need to wait a little while? When I commit things it goes instantly, but if I make changes and commit them, then my friend who was working on the same version has to start over and make the same changes on the new version because they won't merge.

Also, if I need to post this somewhere else, please tell me so I can get an answer from whoever it is faster smile

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2016

You can't push uncommited changes in git.  You should both commit and push your changes.  Before pushing, you should do a pull, which will merge any changes on the server into your local copy of the repo - and which may require you to resolve conflicts if you're working on the same part of the code.  Better yet, you should each work on individual feature branches for each feature you're implementing.  Then you can push to your heart's content without worry about merging, and merge only when you're ready to do so.  However, you should merge early and often.  You might want to read about GitHub Flow as an approach to follow.

SwagDiddly March 17, 2016

Thank you very much, I'll get to it right away!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events