Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GIT does not preserve history after migrating project which has folder structure changed (moved the folders) even SVN log preserved.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

I have migrated my all SVN repositories to GIT/bitbcuket.

In one of project structure was not starndard SVN lay out and it was as below:

PROJECT

branches

Tags

ReleaseNotes

SubProject1

SubProject2

SubProject3

Trunk

I have restrcutred the project and make it standard layout as below:

PROJECT

Branches

Tags

Trunk

After restructure, in my SVN log, it shows me all svn log history for moved project.

But,

After migration to bitbucket. I am only able to see the last moved project history and all previous are not appearing as those are important to preserve for the project.

Please let me know any steps or your views to resolve this issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

When you move data around in Subversion you break all the prior commit history. That means anytime you do a copy or move operation in SVN you lose the associated history of the directory. Typically you want to re-write all the svn history to the new path.

The only way to move a directory while preserving revision history is to dump the repository and re-write the paths with a utility like svn-dump-reloc, which will keep all the commit history of your repository for you.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

I have mentioned required steps in below link which allows to execute command over windows machine.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13972693/svn-dump-reloc-use-in-windows-command-prompt

0 votes
dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2013

I have mentioned required steps in below link which allows to execute command over windows machine.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13972693/svn-dump-reloc-use-in-windows-command-prompt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events