cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fisheye Repository Indexing Error "chunked stream ended unexpectedly"

Ben Daniels September 2, 2013

Hi All,

We recently upgraded to Fisheye 3.1.1 from 2.7.13

I was able to re-add and re-index all my repositories without any issues except for one. This repo is particularly large, and even though it adds properly and completes it's initial changeset scan properly, it then fails part of the way through indexing them. This is the error I get

Repository paused due to error com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.RepositoryClientException: org.apache.subversion.javahl.ClientException: svn: E175002: chunked stream ended unexpectedly svn: E175002: REPORT request failed on '/<repo>_basic/!svn/vcc/default' org.apache.subversion.javahl.ClientException: svn: E175002: chunked stream ended unexpectedly svn: E175002: REPORT request failed on '/<repo>_basic/!svn/vcc/default' org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: E175002: chunked stream ended unexpectedly svn: E175002: REPORT request failed on '/<repo>_basic/!svn/vcc/default' java.io.IOException: chunked stream ended unexpectedly

We are using Apache on SVN with a 'www' user for authentication, but nothing on our SVN server side changed for configuration, and the other repositories are working fine. Also, I am able to perform an 'SVN LOG <SERVER>/<REPO>' to pull that info with the user/pw from the fisheye server with no problems.

Has anyone seen this issue before? A search on the error only seems to turn up issues about SVN checkouts, but no one is mentioning issues doing checkouts or merges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-B

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Evert Penninckx November 19, 2013

Hi, we had similar errors after upgrading fisheye from 2.7 to 3.1. However we noticed that the problematic svn commands also failed when executed directly on the svn server.

We saw that our maximum open file handles limit on the linux server was very low and increased it (ulimit -Hn or-Sn), alas, to no avail.

Finally we upgraded the server from svn 1.6 to svn 1.7.4 (latest in rhel 7 repo) and fisheye happily indexes the whole repo overnight.

Ben Daniels November 26, 2013

I think this is the plan we're going with too Evert. We have tried adjusting timeouts, etc to no avail. We're also running an earlier version of SVN 1.6 and planning to go to 1.7.4. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

1 vote
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

The answer I got from support regarding this:

This warning happens when FishEye/Crucible is trying to get data from the Subversion server to build the index. According to the warning, the connection has been reset by the Subversion server, probably due to the connection timeout settings in the Subversion server. I would suggest that you increase the connection timeout settings in the Subversion server to avoid this warning in the future.

However our subversion is using apache/mod_dav_svn, and does not enforce timeouts. I have our network folks working to trace these to see if our internal firewalls with ALG are killing them.

0 votes
Ben Daniels November 13, 2013

Hi Eddie,

I'm going to take a look at the timeout configuration on our SVN server to verify, but we are also using mod_dav, so maybe I'll chat with my network team as well.

Thanks for your insights on this.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2013

Ben, if you like your own answer, please flush out enough information so it would be useful to others in the future.

Was it a timeout issue? What did you adjust to get past?

Ben Daniels November 19, 2013

Hi Eddie, I actually hit this button by accident. I didn't want to close the question because I'm still trying to implement the potential fix we discussed in the prior comments.

shari_anderson April 10, 2014

Hi Ben, just wondering if you ended up changing any parameters on your svn server to remedy this? Thanks.

David Keaveny January 3, 2017

I'm getting this issue on v4.2.1 for some repositories, using https as the protocol (and with Collabnet SVN Server) - did this ever get resolved?

Here's my error:

Repository paused due to error com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.RepositoryClientException:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Can't overwrite cause with org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException:
svn: E175002: chunked stream ended unexpectedly
svn: E175002: REPORT request failed on '/svn/<repo>/!svn/vcc/default'
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Can't overwrite cause with org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException:
org.apache.subversion.javahl.ClientException:
David Keaveny January 4, 2017

I switched to using the svn: protocol instead of https: through the svnserve.exe that Collabnet ship alongside the Apache HTTP service, and the issue is gone.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events