Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FISHEYE SVN REPO HISTORY SEARCH

Melvyn Jacobs July 24, 2013

Hi, I'm using FISHEYE to search a SVN repo - what I want to do is search through current AND all old revisions. "Search HEAD only " is unchecked, does that mean all the history is searched when invoked ? . . . thanks

4 answers

0 votes
Melvyn Jacobs August 14, 2013

so copying the example quoted - using searching for DIFFS - problem is I get 16K instances. An advanced search lets me download a CSV file of results, but this simple search seems only to give results on a "screen by screen" basis. 16K results is just too hard to manually sort thru . . .
Searching using CONTENT still gives me 10K . . .

If I could get the file names from the results into a file, or limit/filter by filename, that would be good

0 votes
Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2013

Hi Melvyn,

I noticed you are trying to use the Advanced Search in FishEye. With the Search HEAD only option checked, fisheye will not search any historical content.

I believe you should be able to use the basic search however. e.g. have a look at these results: https://fisheye6.atlassian.com/qsearch?q=fixme+hack&t=2

That is showing all places where the text "fixme hack" was either added, removed or modified.

Including HEAD revisions. Does that help?

Cheers,

Nick

Melvyn Jacobs August 8, 2013

not sure - my Fisheye screen doesn't look quite like that, have to investigate further . . .

got it . . now it does . . . need to verify the results . . . thx for the tip

0 votes
Melvyn Jacobs August 8, 2013

So far, only way is to run a script against an SVN DUMP file . . . any other (easier) options would be good to know about

0 votes
rstephens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

Hi Melvyn,

History search is one of the core features of Fisheye. Ensure "store diff info" is enabled in the SCM Details of your repository configuration (it is enabled by default) and FISHEYE will index the full diff text of every revision in your repository. This will enable you to search for any text that has ever been comitted to the repository, even if it has since been deleted.

Kind Regards,
Richard Stephens

Melvyn Jacobs July 24, 2013

Thanks Richard

I think I need to explore this a bit with my Admin Team, a quick test on 1 file fails to find a string that's in an OLD version but NOT in the current version of a file . . .

cheers

MJ

Melvyn Jacobs July 31, 2013

Is there a way to search for a string in the SVN HEAD and ALL the history in a single pass ? My Admin guys are telling me to use a 2-pass method - 1st with a "CONTENT" search, then 2nd with a REMOVED TEXT search.

What I would like to do is find all occurrences of a specific string in ALL revisions of all files in a single pass, when potentially the string doesn't occur in all revisions of any particular file

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events