Error cloning onto virtual machine

Pete Fairhurst August 20, 2012

I'm trying to clone a working copy from BitBucket - via SourceTree - onto a local virtual machine file system, but I keep getting the same error:

failed to import extension hgext.hgflow: No module named hgflow
abort: error: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

Do you know what might be causing this?

5 answers

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2012

Thanks. Well, the URL looks fine, which is not surprising if you got it from the Hosted Projects window.

Do you have any custom version of hgflow installed at all? SourceTree disables any Mercurial custom extensions for safety when it runs (just for it's own environment, it doesn't mess with your configuration), but I'm wondering if you have a hgflow of your own and that's sneaking through via confusion with our own hgflow extension. Does any of that make sense? You'd be able to tell from your ~/.hgrc.

0 votes
Pete Fairhurst August 21, 2012

Sure, here's the full output from SourceTree:

hg clone https://markedup@bitbucket.org/markedup/engcareers /Users/pfairhurst/Documents/engcareers 
*** failed to import extension hgext.hgflow: No module named hgflow
abort: error: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
Completed with errors, see above

Hope that's useful, and thanks for your persistence.

NB: Perhaps worth me noting that I've added my login to SourceTree's repo list already, and I'm picking the engcareers project from within the checkout interface in the application (under the globe button).

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2012

Thanks for clarifying. hgflow is a new feature in 1.5 and is and extension which is packaged inside SourceTree itself; what SourceTree does is every time it starts up, it generates a private Mercurial config file (you can find this in ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree/hgrc_sourcetree) which enables the hgflow extension. So this is usually straight-forward and self-contained. I'm actually wondering if that's a red herring though and unrelated to the error below.

The error message is unusual:"nodename nor servname provided" sounds like the URL is in a bad format or something, can you post the full URL you're trying to use?

0 votes
Pete Fairhurst August 20, 2012

I've just tried performing the same clone instruction - still within SourceTree - on my local Mac file system instead, and I get exactly the same error.

Hope that makes things clearer--and apologies for the confusion!

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012

Hmm, you say it's a 'local virtual machin file system' - do you mean you're running OS X in a VM, running SourceTree in this VM, and are cloning to a location inside this VM, or do you mean that you're going across VM's and the native platform somehow? The fact that you mentioned it makes me wonder if you're implying that the clone works under other circumstances, is that the case?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events