Enforcing permissions on repository hierarchy: Is it possible

techrhythm February 21, 2014

I've imported an existing repository from SVN. The repository currently has a heirchacal stucture by product. Each product has a few different teams associated with it, as well as a number of sub projects

The structure looks like this

/product

--/firmware

--/enclosure

--/packaging

--/pcb

--/software

----/windows

----/android

----/ios

With SVN, I can just assign groups and individual users to paths that they should be accessing. A common scenario is that a user has access to one or two paths but not all. For instance, a user may have access to firmware and windows or enclosure and pcb.

It looks like the BitBucket way to do it would be to create a team for product and then a separate repository for each discint project. For instance:

• Product-Firmware
  • Product-Enclosure
  • Pproduct-Packaging
  • Product-PCB
  • Product-Windows
  • Product-Android
  • Product-Ios

I guess this is doable, but the current structure makes a lot more sense to me since.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2014

Git is foundationally different from SVN. If you approach it thinking "It's basically like SVN, with a few differences", you'll constantly be frusterated that things don't work the way you expect. I know this from experience. They aren't different the way Java and C# are different. They're different the way Java and Python are different.

In relevance to your question in particular, Git doesn't explicitly store any information about folders, so folder-level permissions doesn't make sense. The common illustration of this is that if you add a new folder to a Git working copy (and make no other changes), the git commands will all still behave as though your working copy is in sync with the repository. If you delete all files from a folder and commit, then a clone of the repo won't include that folder at all.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events