Duplicate globbing pattern match?

Kaz December 22, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configure bitbucket-pipelines.yml

The document describes I can use globbing patterns to choose a pipeline for branches, tags, and Mercurial bookmarks. What happens if more than one globbing pattern match to a branch, tag, or bookmarks?

I read any exact match always has precedence over non-exact matches but nothing about precedence among globbing patterns. Is there a way to add an anything else pipeline without using default?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2016

Hi Kaz,

We match the most specific pattern. So if you have multiple globbing patterns, the most specific one to match your branch/tag/bookmark will be selected. For example:

pipelines:
  branches:
    my-branch-a:
      - step:
          script:
            - echo "branch 1"
    my-branch-*:
      - step:
          script:
            - echo "branch 2"
    my-*:
      - step:
          script:
            - echo "branch 3"
    '*':
      - step:
          script:
            - echo "branch 4"

With the above YAML. If I push a commit to the branch my-branch-b, it will build against the configuration for "my-branch-*". Running the 'echo "branch 2"' command.

If I push a commit to the branch my-awesome-branch, it will build against the configuration for "my-*". Running the 'echo "branch 3"' command.

All branches that don't match my-branch-a, my-branch-*, or my-* (in that order of priority) will build against the '*' configuration. Running the 'echo "branch 4"' command. Acting as the "anything else" without needing a default section.

Does that make sense? smile

Thanks,

Phil

Kaz December 22, 2016

Thank you. That makes sense.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events