Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does bitbucket support a co-author in a git commit message?

Brian Tyndall February 25, 2015

4 answers

0 votes
mariam.zikaria March 3, 2020

If anyone is still interested in having this feature. I've started the discussion again.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-discussions/Co-authored-by/td-p/1315928

0 votes
Oleg Tsarev December 28, 2017

Screenshot 2017-12-28 21.14.07_preview.pngDo you see?

I have only single author link - Leonid Mamaev, while I expecting to see TWO authors and BOTH should be link to bitbucket user profile

0 votes

You need special support on your web.

We encourage the use of Co-Authored-By: name <name@example.com> in commit messages to indicate people who worked on a particular patch. It's a convention for recognizing multiple authors, and our projects would encourage the stats tools to observe it when collecting statistics.

As result, if you have something like that in commit message, you should insert link to this guy as second commit author (I am about the web-interface)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2017

Yes, you can put that message into a Bitbucket commit.  It's simple text that goes in.

See below

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2017

Yes, it goes into the commit message.

Exactly.

And I want to see workable links in my browser (first to Leonid Mamaev second one to Oleg Tsarev) when I open commit view in browser (I am about bitbucket web interface)

"Leonid Mamaev" on my picture is link (clickable) while "Oleg Tsarev" - just plain text

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2017

That would be an improvement request you need to make.

You'll need to explain how to implement it when

a) The co-author is NOT the committer, which is what the field is for

b) The co-author field is a random bit of text that may well not be a known user

So, you use "author" and "email" to detect commit author (I checked it, I can set author/email of my co-worker and commit would be linked to my co-worker profile).

If you see "Co-Authored-By:<TEXT>\n" in commit message, you should try to parse it to "USERNAME <EMAIL>" and than link USERNAME/EMAIL exactly as you make it for commit author/email

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2017

No need to tell me, put it in your improvement request.

How to make improvement request?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2017

https://support.atlassian.com/contact is the starting point.

Just for the record (and another people from google) - created

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-10529

Like # people like this
0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2015

If Git supports it, then Bitbucket supports it... What are you trying to do? Usually a changes in Git only has one commiter. Git (and therefore Bitbucket) will track change sets levels and a push to Bitbucket (or any other remote repository) can have multiple commits in it...

See my comment below

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events