Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Bitbucket support versioning for binary files?

Nithin Dandu January 4, 2018

I wanted to know if Bitbucket has the capability to do versioning for binary files such as EAR, WAR etc?

1 answer

0 votes
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Anything committed to a repository, whether binary or text, or through git or hg, is versioned. However, binary files are much more likely to fill the repository unless you use something like LFS.

What are you trying to do?

Hello James,

Thank you for your time.

My users for Bitbucket tool have claimed that versioning for EAR and WAR files were not version controlled or neither than can be used for diff using Bitbucket or source tree. Later we found that version control is not supported in Bitbucket.

Could you please confirm if the above understanding is correct?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

No, it is incorrect.  Your users are wrong.

Bitbucket will version control anything you give it. It really doesn't care what the size or content is, it will version it.  (Although, with large files, you need to make allowances for LFS)

However, it does not do all type of binary diffs.

Thank you Nic for your response. Yes, that is where the understanding was initially I wanted to explain that EAR and WAR files were not enabled for binary diffs., However we were able to check in OPT or Pub files into Bibucket.

Will it be possible to add me a link where I can read through the products limitations on this regard on exactly what type of files are version controlled and could run a binary diffs?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

There's no doc for "limitations" because Bitbucket does not limit what you version control.

Thank you Nic, can you please explain what you meant by "However, it does not do all type of binary diffs."

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2018

It relies on git to do the comparisons, so it depends on what git supports.

Here's an example: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/File-comparison-displays-the-message-quot-This-file-cannot-be/qaq-p/424531

Nithin Dandu February 21, 2018

Thank you for the answers!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events