Do repositories have to be part of a project?

Jeff Leombruno (Pixel) February 11, 2016

I noticed when you rolled out "projects" that ALL our repos were put into an Untitled project. This is completely useless to us (325+ repos in one project). Do repositories need to be part of a project?

What happens to all my repos if I delete that Untitled project??

2 answers

1 vote
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2016

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your question. Yes, a repository must be contained by a project, and projects that contain repositories can't be deleted.

You can rename the Untitled project on the project page to something more appropriate for your team, or you can create more projects to organize your repositories if you like. When you create a new project, it's easy to move one repository from one project to another using the "Add existing repositories" page.

Thanks,

Alastair

Jeff Leombruno (Pixel) February 11, 2016

Thanks for the feedback. As an agency, most of our repos don't have a good grouping structure...most are independent repos for singular clients. 

There are exceptions to this, but not many. 

The "add existing repos" page has it's own issues with the number of repos we have (and always growing). Really need the filter from the homepage ("find repositories") to exist on that page as well.

Seems like "projects" works great for corporations with a finite number of internal projects, but for an agency like us with an ever growing number of unique repos, not sure I see the value. 

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2016

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback on that use case, it's helpful. And for the tip on the add repos page!

Alastair

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2016

Hi Jeff,

the grouping structure is given by the common access rights of your repositories: repositories with the same permissions should be within one project, as the main purpose of Bitbucket-projects is passing on the project permissions to the included repositories

See also my answer here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/35772981

Jeff Leombruno (Pixel) February 12, 2016

I don't see anywhere in a project where you would set permissions??

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2016

Damn ... another case of https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/33145966

My answer referred to Bitbucker SERVER - Sorry

Jeff Leombruno (Pixel) February 15, 2016

Ah, yes...we're on Cloud. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events