Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying full name rather than logname in commit messages.

Mike Lange May 22, 2013

Are there any plugins available today that will display a user's full name rather than their logname in the commit information within Stash?

Our company uses very UNfriendly lognames so we'd like to see "John Smith committed 3fa9176 16 May 2013" rather than "j1234567 committed 3fa9176 16 May 2013" where "John Smith" is the name associated with the user "j1234567".

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

Hi Mike,

In that case I'm afraid you'll have to wait until the following is implemented:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-3235

I recommend watching and voting on the issue.

Cheers,

Charles

0 votes
Tung Nguyen February 12, 2019

Hello,

I feel annoyed when displaying the user's full name alongside commits rather than the public name. I prefer to display the public name.

0 votes
Mike Lange May 27, 2013

Charles,

Updating their .gitconfig files is a possibility I can look into. I'm hoping for something that doesn't require every developer to make a change because, as you could guess, it's pretty safe to say that a number of those people won't do it and we'll still end up with a number of commits w/out the "real" name.

Thanks,

Mike

0 votes
Mike Lange May 27, 2013

Thanks for the response Charles, but I don't think this will do the trick for me as it would require constant admin of the mailmap file. What I'm hoping for is something that will simply display the full name vs. logname whether that full name come from an internal Stash user or, in our case, from ActiveDirectory.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

Also, just out of curiosity, I'm assuming your users can't update their ~./gitconfig files to have a different name and email address? Do you have a company-wide requirement for the format of those fields? Eventually we will hopefully tie user emails with committer emails, as per my answer below.

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2013

Hi Mike,

We have added supported for .mailmap files in the next version of Stash (2.5) which will allow the names on commits to be mapped to something more preferable.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-3084

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-shortlog.html

Would that help?

Charles

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events