Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Email Notification for Pull Request in user profile ?

Michael Benz April 13, 2017

Is it possible to disable receiving E-Mail notifications on Bitbucket Server in a user profile ?

At the moment some developers prefer to see the pull requests in the system and detest the daily mail flood that is coming from Bitbucket. The only options in the profile are receiving E-mails immediately or batched (default - every 30 minutes).

There is also no configuration option for pull request emails on administrator or repository level that I found useful. The only option would be to disable the E-Mail system completely which would affect all teams.

(currently running Bitbucket Server 4.11.2)

10 answers

11 votes
Welly Hong April 24, 2020

I would prefer to receive an email only when people @ me. Otherwise, too many emails and there is no sense to send out email for individual comments on the lines. 

8 votes
Sean McCaffery July 13, 2018

Can we get an official response to this?  I too am getting flooded daily.

Michael Benz June 23, 2020

The official answer is from Ana_Retamal ATLASSIAN TEAM Apr 13, 2017

3 votes
Logan Black October 12, 2018

Personally I'd like to be able to toggle emails at more of an event level. It seems like there's maybe 4 events we get emailed for: 

• Someone added you to a PR
  • Someone marks a PR approved, declined, etc.
  • Someone comments on a PR.
  • Someone merges a PR

I do like seeing the adds and comments, but if I could turn off the update every time anyone marks a PR approved, it would cut 60% of the spam at least and make it easier to see the stuff I care about. 

Also, I could see the use case for being able to scope settings based on 'Pull Requests I created" vs "Pull Requests someone else created", as I might care more about approvals/denials on my own PRs more-so than others'.

Logan Black October 12, 2018

I created a suggestion ticket for this idea on the Bitbucket Server backlog. Concerned citizens, please take a minute to vote on it (if you like it) so it can get some traction.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-11329

Like # people like this
2 votes
Scott Klinger September 26, 2018

I had to add a filter on my email, it marks all PR emails as read

1 vote
Viet Nguyen March 25, 2020

I found the solution for this. 

Just remove the default reviewer and set the minimum merge check as you wish. 

By default, default reviewers will receive an email notification (either you live with it or remove email setting). So, the solution is to limit who should be the default reviewer and add the minimal merge check as you wish. So, no default reviewer but still have approval when merging. 

1 vote
Christian Vetter October 15, 2019

Repeating the related issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-11329

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2017

Hi Michael!

Disabling email notifications for specific users is not possible. If your developers don't want to receive as many emails, they can "unwatch" the pull request to stop receiving email notifications, this is explained at Pull request now with reviewers and smarter notifications. However, note that they'll still receive them if they have been added as reviewers. 

If you’d like this behavior to be different, you can submit a Feature request at jira.atlassian.com so other users can vote for it if they also like it :)

Cheers,

Ana

John Renstrom January 10, 2018

I desperately need to just shut off these dang pull request notifications!

It's already part of my normal daily workflow to scan the website for any of my unapproved pull requests so I do not need to receive an email on top!

At my company we include the architects on all pull requests so that they can have a chance to review the code before it is merged into master...It seemed like a good idea at the time but as a result of being included on almost every pull request I'm getting a steady stream of pull request notifications all throughout the day.

It's not just one email for one pull request either...I get a notification email whenever a pull request is first created and I get another notification email for each push against any open pull request.

Now for the sad reality of what I get to deal with...In the past 12 months alone I've had to read, review and subsequently delete over 10,000 emails that have flooded my inbox.  I'm not exaggerating this number...It has been over 10,000 emails!

I've even tried to set up an inbox email rule to help manage this tsunami of email notifications but that's been tricky because sometimes email conversations between others will result from one of these notification emails which can cause a false positive on my inbox email rule.

...we need to stop this thing at the source!

Like # people like this
Simon Fey January 17, 2018

speaks to me from the heart.

I would love to only receive spam when someone explicitely mentions me with @myusername

Right now reading those mails is worthless.

Like # people like this
testrijder January 23, 2018

+1

Philip Gebhardt February 14, 2018

+1

David Smith February 28, 2018

I was surprised that individual users can't turn off email notifications and it is causing a lot of friction here as we have to tell users they need to use email filtering if they don't want to see the emails. As @John Renstrom pointed out, there can sometimes be a lot of emails which can cause issues with users inboxes. Simply the ability for users to turn off email notifications all together would be a big step forward but more granualr notifications would also be very useful.

Like # people like this
Alex LordThorsen April 16, 2018

+1

timeBroMislav April 25, 2018

+1

Notifications are really unnecessary... We have a slack channel that has all relevant notifications.

There is no need for this massive form of e-mailing!

For now the only way to solve it was to declare bitbucket as SPAM, meaning I also don't receive the E-mails you want to send to me, to inform me about updates etc. 

Pretty sad there is no better solution to this. 

Like # people like this
Lorenzo Campanis May 3, 2018

Granularity is  very much needed, so that an admin can choose what notifications will be active for a given Bitbucket project.

+1

shai_rubinstein May 9, 2018

+1 

These emails are really not necessary and annoying. and un-watching every pull request is not realsitic.

Like # people like this
tremblaysimon May 11, 2018

+1

Is there any JIRA suggestion to vote for that issue?

Alex Brouwer May 16, 2018

+1

Mike Farrell May 18, 2018

Wow.  You CAN'T TURN THIS OFF!?  Are you kidding me!?

Like # people like this
Goran Vukancic May 22, 2018

Yes this feature is much needed. We currently have a slack channel for each of our repositories with Bitbucket Bot reporting all the necessary information (ie. PR's, updates, etc..). I've unwatched all my repo's but still get bunch of emails.

Like cees likes this
acedened June 25, 2018

+1

Volodymyr Vorobei July 6, 2018

+1

Tommy Shrove July 10, 2018

I removed the email server settings in the admin page. That should fix it.

milad August 8, 2018

I have done all sort of blocking on the emails, but I'm still getting them.
Yet another reason to hate Bitbucket

Andy Mehalick August 9, 2018

My god please make the emails stop! As the engineering group manager I'm a reviewer by default on all PRs which means I get 100+ Bitbucket emails a day. It's overwhelming and unnecessary, please give us some level of control over the amount of Bitbucket spam we are sent.

Like # people like this
Homer September 6, 2018

+1
At least how hard can it be?

John Renstrom October 14, 2018

Looks like things may be gaining some traction.

Hopefully everyone can go vote on the new ticket created by Logan.

If they fail to resolve this soon then maybe we all could consider adding their support email to our notifications... nothing says please more than sending their own spam straight to their own email server.     Hahaha :)

Cheng Shen November 11, 2018

+1

lalonded November 30, 2018

++

Andrea Rosales February 13, 2019

It's very disappointing for a product as developed as Bitbucket to have such blunders when it comes to notifications.

For most people, this amount of email is so noisy, repetitive and redundant that is actually reduces productivity and effective communication, I can barely navigate through my email inbox!

+1

Like # people like this
andriychuma December 10, 2019

+1

Ran Crump December 30, 2019

+1

Deleted user May 15, 2020

+1

Alex May 24, 2020

I just marked all 400 emails from pullrequests-reply@bitbucket.org as spam - I hope I don't see new emails from you tomorrow. I can finally see important emails in my inbox.

There are already enough reasons to hate Atlassian products. This is another one. Great to see you guys ruining your reputation by not dealing with the problem for three years.

Like # people like this
Frederik Mann September 17, 2020

Still an issue in 2020. At least I can't find any new settings. It's still VERY annoying and hinders productivity especially when PRs are common part of the workflow.

Like thomas likes this
Caleb Frieze October 14, 2020

+1

Matt J January 6, 2021

please give us the ability to disable email notifications entirely.

Like cees likes this
cees January 7, 2021

The previous comment earned me a "Reading Rainbow" achievement. Using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the notification mail for that achievement. (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/action/confirmationpage) Atlassian said it had removed my email. Going by Atlassian's redundancy i might hope to assume that will at least stop achievement emails.

Adrian Borkiet June 25, 2021

+1

gwilson April 4, 2022

I'm commenting to add my vote to this request. In the background I can hear my phone vibrating as commits are pushed and replies are added to my reviews.

Perhaps this comment will generate an email, and that annoying email will spur someone at Atlassian to address it once and for all.

Like # people like this
Eduar Bastidas May 19, 2022

This is why atlassian is a loli.

Alexander Greim March 14, 2023

+1

I receive PR notifications via Slack. Email is the wrong medium for me.

Like Austin Davis likes this
Nii Apa March 22, 2023

+1 80% of my emails is this! THIS!! NOTHING BUT THIS!! I AM FED UP! STOP. TURN IT OFF!!!!

I ONLY WANT TO SEE AN EMAIL IF SOMEONE @'S ME PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Like # people like this
Austin Davis July 26, 2023

I agree with everyone else here. There needs to be more fine-grained settings for email notifications. I have been with my current company for less than a week, and I already have over 300 emails regarding pull requests. 90% of the time they are completely irrelevant to me. At this rate, I will have over 15,000 superfluous emails per year. If I am not diligent with deleting them or marking them as 'read,' then it is incredibly easy to lose track of emails I actually care about.

Seriously, this should be a priority. I consider this to be a bug, not a feature. It's just a painful, exhausting, never-ending onslaught of emails every single day. Why anyone thought this was a good user experience is beyond me.

Would you personally want to receive 15,000 irrelevant emails per year?

0 votes
Philip Sotirov November 18, 2022

+1

0 votes
angel reyes February 25, 2020

+1

0 votes
ktapdasan May 20, 2019

+1

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders