Difference between 5 User Team and Personal Account during Sign Up

Tobi Schulte November 21, 2014

Hi!

At the moment I have a personal account and can create and manage a team. Now I saw that during the sign up I can also choose 5 User Team but I dont get the difference. Could anyone explain that to me?

1 answer

0 votes
João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2015

Hey, Tobi!

The difference between the two usage tiers is in the number of members who can access private repositories. A personal account can create a private repository and only this account will have access to it. However, if you create a private repository with a team account, this repository can be accessed by you and 4 other members of the team. The same concept applies to higher usage tiers on Bitbucket.

Additional clarification on team and personal accounts can be found on these knowledge documents:

Teams: Frequently Asked Questions

Manage an individual account or a team

Regards,

-Joao

Garret Wilson August 28, 2015

I still don't understand the difference. According to the latest BitBucket documentation, teams no longer have separate logins. So it seems to me that ​all​ new user accounts would be personal accounts. So if I sign up as a "personal account and create a private repository, can I allow another person access to it? Or do I have to create a team? If I sign up as "5 user team" and create a private repository (as my personal account, not as a team), can I allow another person access to it? Or do I have to create it as a team? If I sign up as a "personal account", can I later upgrade to the "still free" option that allows me to grant other users access to a private account? If the only difference between "personal account" and "5 user team" is whether I can allow other users to access my repositories, and both are free, why would anyone ever want to choose "personal account" instead of "5 user team"? I'm dreadfully confused. Surely I'm missing some little detail here. It seems like the only difference between the two is "Do you later want to grant access to someone else to your private repositories? We won't allow you to do this unless you ask up front when you are signing up."

Garret Wilson August 28, 2015

And where, after I have signed up, can I see whether my account is considered a "personal account" or a "5 person team"? I don't see this listed anywhere under my account settings.

Ashvin Narayanan May 29, 2020

Hey Atlassian team, fix this s#^$ and fix your documentation. The link to 'Manage an individual account or a team' points to an invalid page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Manage+an+individual+account+or+a+team

Seems like there isn't even such a thing as team anymore, and this has been changed to a workspace. More here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Unable-to-add-users-to-user-groups-despite-being-an/qaq-p/1082001#M55130

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events