Did not have update groups permission in any of the directories

I have installed Bitbucket Atlassian Bitbucket v4.6.1 I want to use a standard JIRA directory for user management JIRA V6.4 when I try and add users to groups I get the message

User Not Permitted

User crappy_product could not be added to the bitbucket-administrators group. Verify they are not from a read-only directory or consult the logs for more information on the error.

2016-05-27 17:55:55,239 WARN [http-nio-7990-exec-7] charles_clark @93E9R8x1075x1337x0 eayhqy 10.137.34.121 "POST /admin/groups/add-users HTTP/1.1" c.a.stash.internal.crowd.RiotPolice Could not add konstantinos_kostarellis to bitbucket-administrators
com.atlassian.crowd.exception.OperationNotPermittedException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.ApplicationPermissionException: Did not have update groups permission in any of the directories []
at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.addUserToGroup(CrowdServiceImpl.java:720) ~[embedded-crowd-core-2.8.4-m2.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.crowd.RiotPolice$1.internalExecute(RiotPolice.java:82) ~[bitbucket-service-impl-4.6.1.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.crowd.RiotPolice$VoidCrowdCallback.execute(RiotPolice.java:739) [bitbucket-service-impl-4.6.1.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.crowd.RiotPolice$VoidCrowdCallback.execute(RiotPolice.java:735) [bitbucket-service-impl-4.6.1.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.crowd.RiotPolice.execute(RiotPolice.java:690) [bitbucket-service-impl-4.6.1.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.crowd.RiotPolice.addGroupMember(RiotPolice.java:77) [bitbucket-service-impl-4.6.1.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.user.DefaultUserAdminService.doAddUserToGroup(DefaultUserAdminService.java:651) [bitbucket-service-impl-4.6.1.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.user.DefaultUserAdminService.addMembersToGroup(DefaultUserAdminService.java:181) [bitbucket-service-impl-4.6.1.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26) [atlassian-plugins-core-4.1.8.jar:na]
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:56) [gemini-blueprint-core-2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002.jar:2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002]
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:60) [gemini-blueprint-core-2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002.jar:2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002]
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invokeUnprivileged(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:70) [gemini-blueprint-core-2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002.jar:2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002]
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:53) [gemini-blueprint-core-2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002.jar:2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002]
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:57) [gemini-blueprint-core-2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002.jar:2.0.0.BUILD-atlassian-m002]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.rest.user.UserAdminResource.addUsersToGroup(UserAdminResource.java:621) [bitbucket-rest-4.6.1.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.applinks.core.rest.context.ContextFilter.doFilter(ContextFilter.java:24) [applinks-plugin-5.1.1_1463440498000.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.applinks.core.rest.context.ContextFilter.doFilter(ContextFilter.java:24) [applinks-plugin-5.1.1_1463440498000.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.spring.security.StashAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(StashAuthenticationFilter.java:88) [classes/:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.web.auth.BeforeLoginPluginAuthenticationFilter.doInsideSpringSecurityChain(BeforeLoginPluginAuthenticationFilter.java:109) [classes/:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.web.auth.BeforeLoginPluginAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(BeforeLoginPluginAuthenticationFilter.java:75) [classes/:na]
at com.atlassian.security.auth.trustedapps.filter.TrustedApplicationsFilter.doFilter(TrustedApplicationsFilter.java:94) [atlassian-trusted-apps-core-4.2.0.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.oauth.serviceprovider.internal.servlet.OAuthFilter.doFilter(OAuthFilter.java:67) [atlassian-oauth-service-provider-plugin-2.0.3_1463440498000.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.security.auth.trustedapps.filter.TrustedApplicationsFilter.doFilter(TrustedApplicationsFilter.java:94) [atlassian-trusted-apps-core-4.2.0.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.oauth.serviceprovider.internal.servlet.OAuthFilter.doFilter(OAuthFilter.java:67) [atlassian-oauth-service-provider-plugin-2.0.3_1463440498000.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.core.filters.ServletContextThreadLocalFilter.doFilter(ServletContextThreadLocalFilter.java:21) [atlassian-core-4.6.19.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31) [atlassian-core-4.6.19.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.plugin.connect.plugin.auth.user.ThreeLeggedAuthFilter.doFilter(ThreeLeggedAuthFilter.java:109) [atlassian-connect-plugin-1.1.86-bitbucket-04.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.jwt.internal.servlet.JwtAuthFilter.doFilter(JwtAuthFilter.java:32) [jwt-plugin-1.5.11-0002_1463440498000.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.analytics.client.filter.DefaultAnalyticsFilter.doFilter(DefaultAnalyticsFilter.java:38) [analytics-client-5.2.1_1463440498000.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.analytics.client.filter.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:39) [analytics-client-5.2.1_1463440498000.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.web.auth.BeforeLoginPluginAuthenticationFilter.doBeforeBeforeLoginFilters(BeforeLoginPluginAuthenticationFilter.java:87) [classes/:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.web.auth.BeforeLoginPluginAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(BeforeLoginPluginAuthenticationFilter.java:73) [classes/:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.request.DefaultRequestManager.doAsRequest(DefaultRequestManager.java:86) ~[bitbucket-service-impl-4.6.1.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.stash.internal.hazelcast.ConfigurableWebFilter.doFilter(ConfigurableWebFilter.java:38) ~[classes/:na]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) ~[na:1.8.0_74]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) ~[na:1.8.0_74]
... 309 frames trimmed
Caused by: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.ApplicationPermissionException: Did not have update groups permission in any of the directories []
at com.atlassian.crowd.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric.findDirectoryToAddUserToGroupAggregating(ApplicationServiceGeneric.java:1440) ~[crowd-core-2.8.4-m2.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.crowd.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric.addUserToGroup(ApplicationServiceGeneric.java:1291) ~[crowd-core-2.8.4-m2.jar:na]
at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.addUserToGroup(CrowdServiceImpl.java:711) ~[embedded-crowd-core-2.8.4-m2.jar:na]
... 39 common frames omitted

3 answers

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Champion May 27, 2016

Are you trying to add the user to a group within Bitbucket? If you are using JIRA as your user directory you have to manage the group permissions from within JIRA, not Bitbucket.

I also met this problem.

I think the users inlcuded in external user respository cannot add memberships to internal, but I have not a solution.

I've created 'confluence-administrators' group in JIRA, added a user in it and synced in Confluence

This seems to add any JIRA user to any confluence group

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

682 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot