Deleted folders - cloning process still appears to think I still have the folders (file size)

Alex Song May 10, 2017

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the git process, and I'm trying to clean up a repo that our company has been using for years.

The issue that I'm trying to resolve is that we have put all of the code into one giant repo.

I'm trying to clean that up and separate them out so that we don't checkout all code base all at once.

The process I'm using to clean up is that I'm cloning the original repo on bitbucket, cloning it on my local environment, deleting all the unrelated folders, commit, and then push it back.

It appears that this process does clean up the uwanted folders.

However, when I do a git clone on the cleaned up repo to another workstation, it looks like the receiving objects line still shows the large amount of files that we had prior to the cleanup. The unwanted folders are definitely gone, but it still seems to download the old repo with all of the unwanted folders first.

Am I missing a step? 

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2017

Hi Alex, it could be that you're not deleting the files properly. My suggestion would be to have a look at Reduce repository size and use the tool BFG Repo Cleaner. 

Let us know if you have any questions!

Cheers :)

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events