Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create branch from previous commit?

simonwimbles July 15, 2016

Hi all,

I'm new to this so I apologise if this seems really obvious, but I haven't found a solution so far. We are using Bitbucket along with Mercuriel and have a contractor working on a software project. He has been sending me updated revisions of the project and I have been committing them to a locally held repository and pushing them to Bitbucket. I made a mistake where I committed (and pushed) a version of the project I should not have. He made a temporary fix in this particular version which is not in subsequent versions. Now when I try to push his latest version of the project to Bitbucket I get an error saying the push would create a new head. It then suggests I pull and merge, which I don't want to do as the resultant version would contain this temporary fix. He is not available to  help as his contract has ended.

Is it possible to create a branch from the version previous to the temporary fix? Or is there a better solution I'm unaware of?

Many thanks for help!

2 answers

0 votes
smf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2016

I'm not quite sure how the history of this repository looks, so it's a bit difficult to say what exactly you should here. But, in general, if you're trying to cherry-pick these commits, then check out the `hg graft --help` command. Of course, once you're satisfied with the result, you can `hg strip --help` the old commits away. This is the same as doing a rebase but let's you inspect the result before moving on.

0 votes
simonwimbles July 17, 2016

Bump (as I posted it late on a Friday afternoon).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events