Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Consolidate Workspaces

Hi - I'm a solo-preneur with a free account and over the years have created new boards for different client projects etc.  I rarely have members - and those boards that I did, are no longer in use.  I'm the sole user.

So I moved to the new Workspace model and go the fright of my life - thought I'd lost all my boards, but then realised they have all been converted to separate workspaces.

Years ago, I was and still am happy to become a paying customer - and back then was looking to do that so I could back my boards up; but because I have so many client project boards, I would have needed to sign up for each one which was too expensive.

I may now sign up with maybe two accounts - one for my business development, one for my next large client project.  

If that sounds like the best way forward, how do I move my current client boards for different small client projects into one board under my new workspace?   And my bus development boards - now in separate workspaces - into one board in my new workspace?

I simply can't afford to pay for them all with separate user accounts - plus, it doesn't make sense to me to do that either.

Thanks!

Suzy

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Suzy and welcome to the community!

I'm not really sure what you are referring to by 'boards', I assume that you mean different repositories?

If you have different repositories in different workspaces, what you can do is transfer ownership of the repositories from one workspace to another:

When you make a transfer to another workspace you are an admin of, you will receive a transfer request email at the email address of the Bitbucket account who is admin of the workspace you're transferring to. You'll need to follow the link in that email and accept the transfer for the process to complete.

After you transfer all repositories to the one or two workspaces you want to keep, double-check that the old workspaces are empty (that they own no repositories) and you can then delete them.

Please note that when you transfer repositories, the URL of the repositories will change. If you have a clone of these repositories on your machine, you'll need to update their URLs (this is covered in the "Update local configuration files with the new repository URL" section of the documentation I linked).

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Thanks Theordora - I had lots of groups of, I guess, repositories, which had one or more Boards, and then with the new platform, they were all converted to new workspaces.

I have now copied them all into one Workspace and give them a prefix so that I can group 'like' boards togehter - ie Client boards, and my own dev boards etc.

It's a bit cumbersome.  

As you say, I may need to split  them across 2-3 workspaces.  And maybe just workout which ones I need backup capability for - that would be the main benefit of paying to me.  Better organisation and backup.

Thanks again!

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

Thank you for the feedback and you are very welcome!

Repositories in a workspace can be grouped into projects:

When viewing a workspace on Bitbucket website, you'll see the option "Projects" in the sidebar. You can create more projects and then move some repositories to a different project. If you have e.g. 2 or 3 projects in a workspace, you can then view all repositories of a certain project by selecting the project.

After you have created more projects, you can move repositories to a different project the following way:

1. Navigate to the repository you want to add to your new project.
  2. Click Repository settings in the sidebar.
  3. Select the project from the Project menu, where you want to move the repository.
  4. Click Save changes.

You can try using different projects in a single workspace to group the repositories if this is easier for you than having multiple workspaces.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,248 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you